PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw not performing as well as it used to

Anthony Scott
01-14-2010, 7:25 PM
When using my table saw tonight I noticed it would "bog" down frequently to the point where the blade would stop spinning in the middle of a cut. I was just cutting 1/4" baltic birch ply and 1/2" maple. Previously my saw would cut these fine. It is a Ridgid TS3660, only about a year old. Not sure what the issue could be, any ideas?
Thanks

Russ Buddle
01-14-2010, 7:28 PM
Is it running on an extension cord? Possibly low voltage to the motor if so.

Anthony Scott
01-14-2010, 7:31 PM
Hmmm not an extension cord but it is plugged in to a switch that turns on my shop vac when the TS is turned on. This is the way I have always had it set up, but maybe the switch is dying on me....

glenn bradley
01-14-2010, 7:32 PM
It does sound like a power issue but, just in case; how's the edge on that blade?

Anthony Scott
01-14-2010, 8:19 PM
Well, it's a Forrest WWII, about a year old. But I haven't used it that much.

Thomas Canfield
01-14-2010, 8:32 PM
You might also check for pitch on the blade or some other drag. Do you see burn marks on the cut? If so ,then the blade and fence may not be in alignment causing drag. You must have something going on to bog down on 1/4" material and binding would be a good place to start looking after the power issue. Another thing is belt tension and possible belt slippage.

Anthony Scott
01-14-2010, 8:40 PM
Good ideas... thanks

Jim Barrett
01-14-2010, 9:55 PM
as stated above it sounds like a belt slipping issue.

Jim

Lee Schierer
01-15-2010, 9:19 AM
I had a similar problem on my band saw. Changing blades didn't help, the saw wasn't binding, I finally checked the belt and it was loose. Once teh belt was tight it cut like new again.

Best way to check is make a cut that tends to bog the saw down. As soon as you complete that cut, turn the saw of and feel the belt and pullies if they are hot your belt is slipping.

Rick Fisher
01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I would bet on the belt.. if the bolt that keeps the tension was not tight enough, it could vibrate over time..

Marty Paulus
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
When I got my 'used' saw (Delta 10") it would not cut 1/4" either. It had a 110 plug on the end of a make shift cord. I ended up buying a new cord and plug with the intent of upping the power to 220. Come to find out the motor was already wired for 220 and was only running on one leg and 110. Once I got the proper power to the motor, and it is only a 1.5hp, I had no problems.

However, if the saw ran fine before, I would check the belt tension as already mentioned.

Brian Kincaid
01-15-2010, 1:15 PM
...the blade would stop spinning in the middle of a cut...

!!!Be very careful!!! Your blade should never stop spinning when cutting it's very dangerous.

1) Measure the alignment of blade to fence from the front and the back. 2) Have you moved your saw recently? Foundations problems?
3) Try to see if your fence is warped
4) See if your blade is warped :eek:
5) See if your fence is not locking down completely (moving or flexing during cut)

-Brian