PDA

View Full Version : New Festool TS55 Sounds Strange

Dave Sepucha
01-14-2010, 7:08 PM
Happily I received a TS 55 for Christmas. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to use it until today. While the dust collection and the cuts are fantastic, the tool doesn't sound "right". It's got what I can only describe as a low guttural rattle to it. I was expecting it to sound like buttah.

I've checked out some videos and from what I can tell, mine sounds a different than the videos. I'm leaning towards an exchange but wanted to see if any of you with this saw think this is normal.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Steve Mostoller
01-14-2010, 7:18 PM
I received a TS 75 for christmas, the first time i used it i wondered the same thing. Go to Festools website, look for their FAQ section, there you will learn that, thats the way it's suppost to sound. It still freaks me out, but it cuts, and performs as it should. Would not give it up.

Brice Burrell
01-14-2010, 7:21 PM
An unusual sound is normal but I'm guessing you already know that. The TS55 has variable speed, set it to full speed (if it isn't already) and compare it to the sound in my YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd2Dm8AaMME

If you are still unsure call Festool's service dept., the number is on every Festool tool.

Scott T Smith
01-14-2010, 7:38 PM
I had that exact same experience with my TS55. According to my dealer it was normal.

Dave Sepucha
01-14-2010, 7:54 PM
OK, I'm feeling better. Mine sounds like the one in Brice's video, but I swear the "odd" sound continues a bit longer. I'll have to check it out again.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave Sepucha
01-14-2010, 7:57 PM
And from Festool's site:

http://www.festoolusa.com/support/Support-Article.html?ArticleID=170

"What you are hearing is the Multi Material Control electronics. This is probably the first intelligent saw you have used. The Festool saw is unique. There is an integrated circuit on board which regulates the speed by sending power to the motor in various sized bits to ensure constant speed under load for improved cut quality. If other manufacturers used similar pulse-width modulation speed control in their saws, customers would come to expect such strange noises. The motor is constantly engaging and disengaging to keep the saw blade rotating at a constant speed. Most of the sound is being produced by backlash between the small pinion gear on the rotor and the larger gear that drives the blade. The saw blade behaves like a flywheel and has inertia that keeps it rotating while the small gear has slowed down. The opposite sides of the teeth tap against each other and the vibration conducts to the saw blade where it radiates like a speaker. Some of the noise is created by the field coil wires and plates which vibrate from the pulsing magnetism as they energize and de-energize. This noise is particularly noticeable in soft start as the saw ramps up. So the strange sound you hear is actually quite normal. The best way to test the saw really is to make a cut. You will see that it runs smoothly under load no matter what you are cutting."

Jason White
01-14-2010, 8:38 PM
Completely normal.

Enjoy!

Jason

Happily I received a TS 55 for Christmas. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to use it until today. While the dust collection and the cuts are fantastic, the tool doesn't sound "right". It's got what I can only describe as a low guttural rattle to it. I was expecting it to sound like buttah.

I've checked out some videos and from what I can tell, mine sounds a different than the videos. I'm leaning towards an exchange but wanted to see if any of you with this saw think this is normal.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.