PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman auto-hammer...keep or...?

Josh Reet
01-14-2010, 6:13 PM
My grandmother got me a craftsman auto hammer for christmas. On the one hand, it's a really thoughtful gift. I'm sure she went into Sears (where my grandfather always shopped when he was alive) and said "My grandson likes tools, what would be something neat?" to the guys there. Which is really pretty cool considering that she could have just gotten a gift certificate or a check. So I appreciate the effort.

But I really don't know if I need this thing. I played with the Ryobi version at HD over the holidays and was mostly impressed with how loud it was. But I guess I could see it being handy for tight spaces around the house. Has anyone used one?

And then there is the fact that the wife says "No, you should keep her gift. It's not one of those kinds of gifts you can return, you know?". In addition, I don't have the receipt and am not likely to ask for one. So maybe this post is pointless and I just end up with a auto-hammer. A shame in some ways because I can think of many other $100 tools that I would have rather had.

Chris Kennedy
01-14-2010, 6:29 PM
My FIL has the Ryobi, and I think they are basically the same tool. I used it and it is pretty neat. If nothing else, it is fun to use. Definitely useful in confined spaces. I don't think I would necessarily buy one for myself without a specific project that really needed it, but I wouldn't mind having one lying around the shop either.

Cheers,

Chris

Scott Hildenbrand
01-14-2010, 6:51 PM
It has a "Wee... How neat" feel to it, but I question the usefulness.

Had to go watch some vids on Youtube to see exactly how it works.

Question comes to mind of when it will actually be useful.. Sure, "in tight quarters", but how often do we find ourselves cursing about tight quarters where a small feather weight hammer, or turning it sideways doesn't work fine.

Now... Hush and make your grandmother happy by telling her how useful it is.

Josh Reet
01-14-2010, 6:56 PM
Question comes to mind of when it will actually be useful.. Sure, "in tight quarters", but how often do we find ourselves cursing about tight quarters where a small feather weight hammer, or turning it sideways doesn't work fine.

That's my main issue. I can see how it COULD be useful, but I have a hard time thinking of many specific times in the past year (for example) when it WOULD have been useful.

Mort Stevens
01-14-2010, 9:08 PM
I also got a Craftsman 'auto-hammer' for christmas - it went directly into the cabinet with all the other stuff I have received over the years that I will never use... it keeps the Craftsman 'dual-blade' saw, Black&Decker 'auto-clamp' and many other presents that I have received from friends that buy me tools because they see this junk advertised on TV and think it would make a great present for me... I appreciate the thought, I really do, but *never* have I received a gift of a tool that I would use.

Myk Rian
01-14-2010, 9:32 PM
Ask her if she has the receipt, explaining that it failed and you have to return it.

Glen Butler
01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
The only time I use mine is framing (rough carpentry) to get into tight places. i.e. joist spaces, between studs, between trusses when nailing straps and such. Go get some in store credit and use it for what you want.

Josh Reet
01-29-2010, 2:18 PM
I just thought I would update this thread and post that the thing actually saved me a ton of time.

I've been busting up some old maple gym flooring for a panel glue up project. Like most all hardwood flooring, there are flooring nails through the tongue. Due to the age, most of these nails are gummed and/or rusted in there pretty good. The auto hammer sped the process of removing them up by an exponential amount.

I have no idea when I will use the thing next. But I have to admit, I'm really glad I own it right now.

Fred Voorhees
01-29-2010, 7:35 PM
I have a rule in my home with my wife....actually an agreement. She doesn't buy me tools or wood shop supplies until she clears it with me. While I would appreciate the thought, she really doesn't know what I need or want. Yeah, things can be returned, but I would rather recieve something that I can use than be stuck with something that I'm keeping around just because it was a gift.

William Duffer
01-30-2010, 12:15 AM
One of these days you will kick yourself for returning it. On the other hand i would return it and get what you need, she would probably understand. Better to get something you will use than waste her money.

Joe Shinall
01-30-2010, 12:22 AM
My mom bought me one for Christmas this year. Just in 1 month I have used it about 5 times. It really is useful and once you realize all the uses for it you will think "why the hell didn't I buy it when I saw the commercial?"

Andy McCormick
01-30-2010, 6:44 AM
Josh you better be carefull. Have you done a members search? She may be a fellow creeker! Then the cat will be out of the bag. Then all you will get are socks and underwear next year. :)

travis howe
01-30-2010, 9:04 PM
I picked up the ryobi version today. HD has them on sale for $60 vs $90 and it comes w/ one 12v bat and charger. The 12v bat that I use in my small drill is $40 bucks so I'm out $20 if it doesn't work out...or sell it for $40:)