PDA

View Full Version : Black & Maple HF

Mark Hubl
01-14-2010, 5:38 PM
I finally got in a little shop time. I had picked up a nice chunk of maple at woodcraft and wanted to try something new. I have always liked the black Mexican/Southwestern pottery. After seeing some other black pieces at the SOFA show I thought it was time to experiment a bit. Here is what I came up with. Unfortunately the blank had some unavoidable checks. So, each piece has a little crack. Oh well, they were just practice. Need to perfect my ebonizing. They were both light bottomed until I went to make a little fix! Had to refinish and stain the second. Learned a bunch from these. First embellishing, carving and ebonizing.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4274479419_89a866e892_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761/4274479473_039c98bf19_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4274479531_0cfdb97252_o.jpg

John Keeton
01-14-2010, 5:42 PM
Mark, those are fantastic!! I like the stained one better, actually. What did you use to ebonize the maple? Also, did you use a Dremel to do the carving?

I had given some thought to something like this, and I really like the outcome here. Nice shape/form, too.

Meant to comment on the photography and the collages - great work!

Bill Swanson
01-14-2010, 5:45 PM
Excellent job, looks great.

What do you do to finish the bottom? Looks like something is added with writing and to fill the void.

Ted Calver
01-14-2010, 5:49 PM
Mark,
Great shapes and the ebonizing and texturing really set the pieces apart from the norm. Very nicely done. I'm looking forward to seeing the next version.

Dennis Ford
01-14-2010, 5:58 PM
Those are really nice! I like the lighter one better but both are great pieces. Can you give us some information on the ebonizing.

Mark Hubl
01-14-2010, 6:18 PM
Thanks John. Yes the top of the pieces were textured using a Dremel with a small round burr. I also used a traditional "V" carving chisel to cut the vertical lines. I ebonized the pieces with Kiwi leather dye. You can pick it up at most grocery or shoe stores. It is liquid with foam applicator. Couple coats does a nice job. The inside of the second is also blackened. This was done with RIT dye & alcohol.

Mark Hubl
01-14-2010, 6:24 PM
Thanks Bill. I use a compression chuck to finish the bottoms of pieces. On these I just added a couple of "V" grooves with a skew. I like to sign the bottom and denote the the type of wood.

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2010, 7:24 PM
Mark those are outstanding. I am going to try something similar but will use india ink. I got a boat load at a close out sale at Hobby Lobby for .25 a bottle.

David E Keller
01-14-2010, 8:20 PM
Very cool. The detail on the top of the pieces is nice.

MIKE E BEE
01-14-2010, 8:27 PM
Really nice turns! I like the stained one a touch better but both are fantastic. Well done especially for practice.

Brian Effinger
01-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Both are very nice, but I really like the darker one. The lighter color is too much of a contrast to the top, in my opinion. It is great to see people taking risks and going out of their comfort zones - it inspires me to take the leap.

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Very nice work on both of these Mark! Nice design work!

Of the two styles - which do you prefer? I tend to go more towards the darker HF not so much because of color but find the size and fit of the lid/top is closer to what I would expect in southwestern style of pottery.

Looking forward to seeing the next version! Thanks for sharing!

Mark Hubl
01-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks Bernie. I have been trying to find some India Ink around my neck of the woods and nobody seems to carry it. I will probably buy it on line. It is the next trick I want to try for ebonizing. Have you used it for dying wood yet?

Mark Hubl
01-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I tend to agree with you about the second. The shape is definitely more southwestern looking. I also like the additional details on it. I liked these results and will probably be working on developing my texturing and carving skills.

Jon Lanier
01-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I think they look SWEAT!!! :)

ROY DICK
01-15-2010, 7:40 AM
I certainly would not call those practice.
I think you did some great turnings.They both are an eye pleaser.

Roy

Mauricio Ulloa
01-15-2010, 8:35 AM
Really nice! Gotta go to your shop more often... you do really nice work!

John Keeton
01-15-2010, 9:23 AM
Have you used it for dying wood yet?Mark, I don't want to speak for Bernie, but I have tried it once. The India ink apparently is waterbased, and I failed to first raise the grain, resulting in the ink doing so. I want to try some alcohol based dyes or other solvent based dyes that do not raise the grain for comparison.

Bill Bolen
01-15-2010, 9:58 AM
Lovely pieces both. The texturing really sets off those black tops...Bill..

Jarrod McGehee
01-15-2010, 11:02 PM
those all look pretty cool! GREAT photography and presentation