PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning Starter Set

dave harris
01-14-2010, 4:55 PM
I have been looking at starter sets to be able tyo turn pens. I have looked at PennState Ind. and Craft Supplies and they both have starter sets. Penn State set includes lathe tools but i don't really need them. they give a #2MT mandrel and they give you 10 kits to start with all for $79.99. Craft supplies doesn't give tools. You get a #2MT mandrel and only 5 pen kits. but they give you a 7mm drill bit which i need.and it's $59.99. Also included in both kits are finishing supplies and a barrel trimmer.

Is the quality any better on one over the other? What are others recommendations for buying a starter kit? I'm working with a tight budget here and want the best value for my buck.

Thanks

David E Keller
01-14-2010, 5:01 PM
Depending on what type of pens you want to turn, I'd likely buy the mandrel all by itself and then get whatever kits and bushings you'd like to make. There have been a lot of recommendations lately about buying an adjustable mandrel rather than the standard mandrel.

Slimline kits and bushings are pretty cheap if that's what you'd like to make.

Definitely check out the IAP website for info and stuff for sale in the classifieds.

dave harris
01-14-2010, 5:06 PM
Definitely check out the IAP website for info and stuff for sale in the classifieds.
What is the IAP website?

Robert Arrowood
01-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Dave IAP is International Association of Pen Turners.There is alot of info over there.As for starter kits you can get the mandral for less than $20 and the slimlines for around $2.00 ea.The mandral comes with a drill bit and bushings so you would come out better going that route.JM2C.

Also try www.woodturningz.com (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/www.woodturningz.com) they are a reseller for psi.Same atuff just cheaper.

Steve Mawson
01-14-2010, 8:24 PM
Any pen I have turned I just use my normal turning tools. Don't think you need special pen turning chisels. When I started just got each piece as needed.

Mark Hix
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I also just got things as I needed them. (Now if I could just get more space.) Use your normal sized tools, they work just fine. +1 on the IAP site. Spend some time in the library section. The learning curve is pretty fast.

One little thing...it is very addictive.

dave harris
01-15-2010, 3:36 PM
OK so i went to the woodturningz site and checked them out. I then spent $100 with them and got WAY more stuff than i would have if i bought one of the "starter kits"! Thanks to all who replied, you guys gave me great advice and i appreciate it

Thanks again

Robert Arrowood
01-15-2010, 8:25 PM
OK so i went to the woodturningz site and checked them out. I then spent $100 with them and got WAY more stuff than i would have if i bought one of the "starter kits"! Thanks to all who replied, you guys gave me great advice and i appreciate it

Thanks again

Yep and it's all down hill from here.LOL