PDA

View Full Version : Something I read

Keith Christopher
10-17-2004, 9:45 PM
had me try it today I cut a piece off an old 1/8" bandsaw blade and put it in my scrollsaw. It worked like a champ. I was making some small cuts that didn't justify running the bandsaw but were too much for the delicate SS blades so I used this and it was amazing.

John Miliunas
10-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Keith, thanks much for the tip! :) So, how tight a radius can you cut with that setup on the SS? :cool:

Keith Christopher
10-17-2004, 10:51 PM
John about like this :) This is 3/4" maple. Also if you see the side of this piece you'll notice some burning, that was from me playing with a SS blade. It burned bad. Notice no burning with the cut bandsaw blade. I probably could have cut much tighter but didn't try those cuts I did in about 20 seconds. :eek:

John Miliunas
10-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Keith, that IS fantastic! :D Actually, that's better than fantastic! I just replied a bit ago to a post by Gary Max, regarding the small BS he just bought. I often find it a hassle to switch blades on the Laguna, just for one or two small cuts. Not that hard, just a hastle. This looks like it should take care of a LOT of those "times"! :D Now, for the next two dumb questions:
1) Approx. speed of SS with that blade? 2) Approx. tension setting? I do realize that both will vary with material and blades, but curious as to where you had it set to start with. :cool:

Keith Christopher
10-17-2004, 11:14 PM
John this cut was made with the speed setting on my dewalt at 6 and the tension at 4, 5 seemed too tight and I didn't think I needed it set to 8 on speed. :) I could have gone slower I'm sure but I just picked kinda randomly experimenting.

John Miliunas
10-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks much for the info, Keith! Looks like I may be doing some experimenting myself! :) Hmmmm...That SS may lend itself to more house projects than originally anticipated! :D Cool! :cool:

Keith Christopher
10-17-2004, 11:38 PM
John,

One thing to note, as you well know the SS cuts from the front (I have something up my sleeve for that though...*snicker* ) so the length of cuts is limited greatly by the throat on your SS unlike the BS.