PDA

View Full Version : Hanging TS extension table from Incra rails

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 4:30 PM
I'm about to start building an extension table for my table saw. I have an Incra fence with the long rails (92"?). I was planning to have the rails support the table, but now I think I remember reading something where the weight can cause the rails to flex enough such that the fence mechanism will bind.

Anyone have experience with fitting an extension table into an Incra system?

Jerome Hanby
01-14-2010, 4:33 PM
I haven't installed mine yet, but it comes with legs to go on the end of the rails. I don't recall any additional support and they have several configurations that include a router table on that side...

On the other hand, you can never have too much storage, so support with some cabinetry wrapped around it is almost like free storage!

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 4:35 PM
Right, I know about the legs, mine are installed. My concern is the weight of the table bowing the unsupported length. I would rather not put in additional legs. Just hoping someone had already blazed that trail ahead of me.

Dan Forman
01-14-2010, 4:57 PM
I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't do it. Seems like too much weight to me.

Dan

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 5:09 PM
Hmm, I'm wondering now if I don't have this backwards. The issue might be the flexibility of the table. If it's rigid enough, it wouldn't pull down on the rails and could actually support them instead of the other way 'round.

Aaron Berk
01-14-2010, 8:29 PM
Going with your thought about the table supporting the rails..... If your table is stout enough (ie torsion, or steel reinforced) you could just bolt it to the saw, and then directly above the legs. Just leave the whole center of the table free hanging supporting it's self.

Michael Drew
01-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I just did this to mine. I tried to have the rails support the table, but it put them in a bind. I ended up supporting the table with legs to the base. I used bolts and wing nuts so I could pull the legs out if I ever needed to get to the motor.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/mdrew/20091229-PC296145.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/mdrew/20091229-PC296142.jpg

Cliff Holmes
01-16-2010, 1:16 PM
OK, I'm not buying this scam. That shop is way too organized and clean to be real ... :D

Aaron Harvey
01-16-2010, 3:12 PM
I have a similar set up to Michael, except not as pretty a table. For support, I have the aluminum legs you can additionally buy. I created a hardwood frame base that fit between the rails. Drilled holes along the side rails of my frame, and loosely inserted bolts to slide it into the rails, then tightened them. (If you oversize the holes a little, it will give you some play to adjust the table so it is level to the saw table). Then I laid my laminated MDF on top of the frame between the rails and attached it. If you have the manual, I think in the back it gives some steps on attaching an extension table.

I also think there is hardware you can buy from incra, but it really isn't necessary.

Michael Drew
01-16-2010, 4:35 PM
That’s funny! It’s usually cluttered to the point of frustration.

I built mine as Aaron did. Some MDF, red oak rails, some left over laminate and I oversized the holes to level it. Make sure the tables are as close to exactly the same width as the rails or you will regret it. If they are not, the LS support with be too tight or too loose. I also learned why Incra recommends to build it six inches shorter than the rails. I didn’t…. It makes it tough to adjust the LS support if the table is in the way of the adjusting screws.

I used 1/4 - 20 hardware to mount it.

lamar bailey
01-18-2010, 9:33 PM
Whoa I like that miter guage holder for your incra guage. Can you do some close ups of it.