PDA

View Full Version : My first Hollow Forms (things)

Ian Parish
01-14-2010, 3:48 PM
I finally have something I though I could would share.

I got the chance to learn how to make something hollow. I have turned a bunch of spindle stuff and tried a few times to make a bowl, but never completed them.

Well anyway this Pen cup, was the first thing I every hollowed out, not too bad, even if I have to say it myself. The curly figured Maple I used was very dry so I was able to turn and finish. The walls are nice and thin and straight. I did have an issue of the scraper "Screaming" on the inside and chattering and digging. I was able to fix all but one spot with light cuts and sand paper. The pictures show the tear out as a glaring error, but when holding the piece you don't really notice it.

The bowl is a small piece and we left the walls thick to give it character, short and squatly. It is elm recovered from the neighbors tree last fall. I love the grain and can't wait to turn the other 20 big logs I have of it. Elm is stinky to turn that is for sure.

Ian

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2010, 3:59 PM
Nice work on both items Ian! Pretty woods. Really like the soft look of the finish - what did you use?

charlie knighton
01-14-2010, 4:02 PM
very nice....

Ian Parish
01-14-2010, 4:06 PM
Nice work on both items Ian! Pretty woods. Really like the soft look of the finish - what did you use?

I used BLO on both, Without really knowing how to apply BLO. I put it on let it soak in and rubbed it off/ heated it up a bit while turning on the lathe. I then put a couple more coats on. On the maple I put a final carnuba wax coating on it, but this did not really take too well. It didn't really atttach and shine up like over a friction polish. I have seen Raffin use a standard coat of BLO and beewax, but I didn't seem to get the same results.

Still Learning,
Ian

Joshua Dinerstein
01-14-2010, 4:11 PM
Great work Ian. Where ever did you get that great Curly Maple blank?

Joshua

John Keeton
01-14-2010, 4:25 PM
Nice work! I love the color of the maple, but that elm bowl looks pretty sharp, too!

Ian Parish
01-14-2010, 4:32 PM
Great work Ian. Where ever did you get that great Curly Maple blank?

Joshua

Answer 1)
My 14 year daughter would say "Did you get that from your Little Friend Joshua?"

Answer 2)
I went shopping at the "Wall O Wood"

Answer 3)
Why do you have so much wood? "Work is boring, Ebay is fun."

Ian
p.s. The Elm was turned mostly by my Daughter as a first bowl learning experience. We turn together an make a great team in the shop, I do all the purchasing, work with the blanks, setup and tool sharpening and she gets to do the turning.

David E Keller
01-14-2010, 4:55 PM
Pretty wood and a nice job overall.

Mark Hubl
01-14-2010, 5:44 PM
Nice work. Love the figured maple.