PDA

View Full Version : SPI squares

Jay Jeffery
01-14-2010, 3:34 PM
Has anybody used SPI squares?
MSC metalworking has 20% on this line(code MWMANIA40I today (1-14-10 only), which seems almost reasonably priced to begin with.

Starrett is only 10% off, which brings them down to Amazon pricing.

The set of squares I have aren't square, which has me extremely frustrated. I'm looking for something to set up my saws with, so it needs to be better than a marking instrument.

Jerry Bruette
01-14-2010, 6:10 PM
No experience with their squares, but their dial indicators work just fine.

Jerry

Dave Anderson NH
01-14-2010, 7:05 PM
I have had an SPI combination square for about 10 years and it is as accurate as any Starrett I have ever used. SPI measuring and inspection tools are a very good value.

Brian Gumpper
01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
What does SPI stand for? There is a company in CA making squares and such and I have been trying for months to remember their name.

Tom Henderson2
01-14-2010, 10:25 PM
What does SPI stand for? There is a company in CA making squares and such and I have been trying for months to remember their name.

PEC? Rutland tool carries them and sells mailorder.

Good value.

-TH

Brian Gumpper
01-14-2010, 10:29 PM
PEC? Rutland tool carries them and sells mailorder.

Good value.

-TH

That was them, thanks.

Jay Jeffery
01-15-2010, 8:32 AM

Swiss Precision Instruments is what I think it stands for.

Brian Gumpper
01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Swiss Precision Instruments is what I think it stands for.

How does SPI compare to PEC or even Starret?

Tom Henderson2
01-18-2010, 1:19 AM
How does SPI compare to PEC or even Starret?

Starrett is the gold standard, for fit, finish, accuracy and durability.

SPI and PEC are probably not quite as nicely finished, so may feel just slightly raspy where the Starrett feels like silk. And probably not quite as accurate, but both are more than accurate enough for woodworking usage, both for measuring work as well as machine setup.

For the price, SPI and PEC are hard to beat. But they may not give you the same "gawd I love this tool" feeling like the Starrett stuff often does.

-TH