PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a router

Jerome Hanby
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
In the long run, I've got a 3 1/4 5 speed PC motor that is going to be dedicated to table use, but I've got a short term problem. My current router table is a cast iron wing on my Craftsman table saw. It's drilled to fit some weird Craftsman router that's no longer available, but I was able to get an adapter plate that will let me use my Hitachi km12v. That's worked fine for everything I've needed to do until now. I've got a lock miter bit and plan to use it to build some drawers. The height adjustment of the Hitachi (the fixed base is attached to the table) is just not controllable enough to get this bit dialed in. I figure you can't have too many routers, so maybe this is a good time to get another one. concerns:

1. It has to fit my adapter. I think the Hitachi is a standard Porter Cable three screw arrangement and the adapter had several sets of holes, so most "round" base routers should work.

2. I need to be able to adjust the height with the router attached to the table. The adjustments need to be fine enough or me to zero in on the correct height for the lock miter bit.

3. I need to be able to make the adjustments form under the table. This router table ring doesn't use a plate, so I couldn't get at above the table adjustments without drilling a hole(s).

4. I don't need a super powerful router 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 would be fine

5. I'd like a decent router at as low a price as I can get by with.

Any suggestions?