PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT3000VCE Viable Table Router Option?

Bob Haskett
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I have read through quite a few router threads. And it seems like the main thing people ask when inquiring about a router for in-table use is whether or not it has above table controls and HP. This one is 3.25 HP so I would imagine HP is not a problem, but does anyone know if it has all the above table controls people usually say you need?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2080385/2080385.aspx

I would eventually be building a custom table so I don't NEED the table but its something to start off with.

Also, if I purchased this would I also need a router I used above table? If so, would it be better if I got that router first?

FYI, I have never used a router, but more of the projects I am starting call for one, hence the thread.

Bob Haskett
01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Seems like after reading through a few threads I missed based on a typo in my search that this is an awesome table router. So I guess my only question is, would it be better if I got the above table router first, being cheaper and all, if I will need one down the road.

brent warner
01-14-2010, 2:17 PM
I'm using one in a table and I am quite pleased with it
brent

Stephen Edwards
01-14-2010, 2:55 PM
....So I guess my only question is, would it be better if I got the above table router first, being cheaper and all, if I will need one down the road.

You'll certainly want another router (probably several more!) down the road.

Though I'm not familiar with this particular router and table, it does get good reviews from what I've seen.

Here's one way of looking at it: If you buy this package, you'll have what seems to be a good router with a decent table and micro adjustable fence. According to one review on Amazon, an owner said that taking the router off the plate for hand held use was a breeze, takes just a few minutes.

If I could only afford one router to begin with, for hand held use, I'd want that router to be a plunge router, even if the plunge router was bigger than needed or preferred for the task at hand. There are tasks that you can do with a plunge router that can't be done with a fixed base, or are difficult to do, at best.

So, since you're just beginning to build your arsenal of tools and machines, this combo pack that you're considering gets you a router table and a router that you can use both with the table and for hand held tasks, too.

The one thing that I'd check is to see if this router is the upgraded version that has some parts made of metal that were made of plastic in an earlier version. I read something about that in one of the reviews that I read.

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 3:59 PM
I've owned the Freud router for about six months now. Overall, a very nice router. The one downfall, however, is the really fine pitch on the height adjustment. It takes a LOT of turning to move it up and down and there's no quick adjustment.

I was going to mount it in my new table, but I'm seriously leaning toward the Triton TRC001 instead: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080240/27329/Triton-3-14HP-Plunge-Router.aspx

Jerome Hanby
01-14-2010, 4:39 PM
I read in some review someplace (might have been here) that you could use a 10 mm hex bit in a powered drill or driver to crank it up and down. They recommended setting the torque low enough so that it never forced the issue when a stop was reached.

If everything goes as planned, I'll know first hand Tomorrow evening:D.

I've owned the Freud router for about six months now. Overall, a very nice router. The one downfall, however, is the really fine pitch on the height adjustment. It takes a LOT of turning to move it up and down and there's no quick adjustment.

I was going to mount it in my new table, but I'm seriously leaning toward the Triton TRC001 instead: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080240/27329/Triton-3-14HP-Plunge-Router.aspx

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 4:41 PM
Yeah, but it's really a pain hunting down a drill every time I want to make a gross adjustment.

And let me add: The adjustment knob is really small and hard (for me) to grip.

Bob Haskett
01-14-2010, 4:44 PM
If everything goes as planned, I'll know first hand Tomorrow evening:D.

Let me know if your happy with the purchase!

Bill Franklin
01-14-2010, 8:54 PM
Been there and done that. It is a plunge router mounted under a table, it is not a lift. I am now running a Woodpecker lift with a PC7518 motor and it does what I wanted all along.