PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed Table, Folding

Ole Anderson
01-14-2010, 10:53 AM
I have been wanting to do an outfeed table for some time. My Ridgid portable support worked ok, but not for items that were on the small side. I ran across one in the Feb '09 Woodworker's Journal that looked like it might work. I pared it down in width as I didn't feel that I really needed one to rip sheets of plywood when I mostly worked with milling solid wood down to size, and my shop is tight. The magazine version had a telescoping support leg which looked way more complicated than it needed to be. As you can see I just made up a plywood support angled back to the saw cabinet using two french-like cleats. Mostly scraps, just had to buy the laminate for the top and bottom. I used some left over 1 1/8" particle board for the surface and I was able to match the laminate I used for the extension table I did several years ago. I had to accommodate the oddball Grizzley splitter and I didn't feel that the miter grooves needed to extend as far (into the table) as I see many people do. 3 coats of wipe-on poly, sand at 400 grit and rub on Johnson's Wax with 0000 steel wool, including waxing the laminate. (that is becoming my favorite finish by the way)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/OFT2resize.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/OFT1resize.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/OFT3resize.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/OFT5resize.jpg

Just lift the table a few inches, remove the support leg and it folds down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/OFT4resize.jpg

Derek Gilmer
01-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow, that looks very nice. I may have to build one for my saw :)

Eric Gustafson
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Very nice!

I saw that outfeed table in the WJ and was going to build it, but I've misplaced the issue it came from. Then, I could not remember for the life of me what magazine I had seen it. Your post is great, if for no other reason it points me back in the right direction. :D

Sean Nagle
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Great design for a fold-down outfeed table. Much better than having to deal with other types of hinges.

Joshua Layne
01-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I really like this and have been looking for a outfeed table design. Excellent execution.

Jim Rimmer
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I agree about the overly complicated support brace. Is yours connected to the table or saw via hinge or do you just stash it somewhere when not in use?

Ole Anderson
01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Is yours connected to the table or saw via hinge or do you just stash it somewhere when not in use?

I am going to keep it simple, just drill a hole in the brace and hang it on a nail on the wall like I did with my splitter/blade guard.

Paul Ryan
01-14-2010, 2:28 PM
Ole,

That looks pretty slick. I used 3 door hinges mounted under mine. The 1st 3 inches of the table are fixed to the saw, and the other 30 inches fold down. It has 2 legs that fold down using folding leg brakets from rockler. I like your design.

Tim Elder
01-14-2010, 2:52 PM
Ole,

I just picked up one of the Ridgid R4511's that has been on closeout and was thinking about making an outfeed table. I really like the set up you have.

I noticed you have an HTC fence. I have a brand new one that I will use in place of the fence that came with the saw. How do you like the fence? Any tips/advice for installation or use?

thanks, tim

Ole Anderson
01-14-2010, 3:35 PM
I noticed you have an HTC fence. I have a brand new one that I will use in place of the fence that came with the saw. How do you like the fence? Any tips/advice for installation or use?

I have had the HTC fence for about 5 years now and love it, it is rock solid. You will like it. BUT I understand they discontinued it a year ago and don't even plan on stocking parts. Bummer. Installation is straightforward, don't remember having any problems.

Tim Elder
01-14-2010, 3:40 PM
I think I got the last one on closeout - $100.

So fence for $100 and saw for $299 = $400. Not too bad (if I do say so myself).:)

Chris Padilla
01-14-2010, 4:25 PM
Well done!!

Ole Anderson
01-14-2010, 4:33 PM
Well done indeed!

Mike Cruz
01-14-2010, 6:36 PM
I've been contemplating making one of these. Thanks for the visual on the mechanics of it. Very helpful, and really nice, too!

Jason Hanko
01-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Looks very Nice Ole!
I made this as well (post here (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117414)) only I actually scaled mine UP in size and I made the rocket-surgery support leg. :rolleyes:
I personally like having the leg attached, as I could just see myself reaching for that removable leg leaning against the wall next time I needed a piece of scrap to cut up...:)
I really like the look of the laminate on yours, and I bet it'll be more durable than mine too. Ive already got a few scratches and gouges, so when it gets bad enough I may just laminate the entire top in laminate too.

Bob Carreiro
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Good design, Ole and good job! Whadda you do with the support when the table isn't up-right? Is it folded underneath somehow?
I gotta build me one!

Joseph Tarantino
01-15-2010, 11:29 PM
ole anderson...what's the deal with all the holes in the insert? do they help with dust collection? any tips on table saw table top dust collection that don't involve anything occurring above the blade?

Ole Anderson
01-16-2010, 12:45 AM
what's the deal with all the holes in the insert? do they help with dust collection? any tips on table saw table top dust collection that don't involve anything occurring above the blade?

I thought it might help a bit with dust collection, but it sure won't take the place of a topside dust collector, and with my allergies, that may be next on my list. Been reading too much Bill Pentz lately. http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Oops, did I just hijack my own thread?

Bruce Page
01-16-2010, 12:28 PM
That’s a nice simple design, a lot simpler than my Rube Goldberg folding Outfeed. :o
Do you get any tipping at the outside corners?

Ole Anderson
01-17-2010, 6:28 PM
That’s a nice simple design, a lot simpler than my Rube Goldberg folding Outfeed. :o
Do you get any tipping at the outside corners?

It sems very steady. I made the support 10 inches wide and with the french cleat like connection, the more weight, the tighter it gets.so it not like I just stuck a stick in the middle.

Ole Anderson
05-25-2012, 7:57 PM
And here is an up to date shot with the new SharkGuard and dust collection system:

Ole Anderson
07-05-2013, 9:06 PM
And another update pic. As you can see I finally extended the miter grooves into the extension to accommodate my large sled's runners.

bobby milam
07-05-2013, 9:19 PM
9% of my work on the table saw involves smaller pieces that do not need an outfeed table. What I did is when I was setting up the shop in the garage, I bought s set of lower cabinets without tops off of craigslist. I took one of them and put it on wheels. It is my glue up and clamping station. I made the top level with my ts top. The table stays against a wall and is a needed work area so it doesn't take up unnecessary space but when I need an outfeed table I just roll it over and lock the wheels. The benefit of this is that it will work either direction and I can position it towards the middle, left or right side where I get the most benefit of it as an outfeed table. It works really well for me and still gives me all the free space around the ts when I am not using it. Not to mention a good place to store extra ts equipment such as blades and things. I have 3 of them all set to the same height and they can be rolled together to make me a large work bench when I need another one.

Steve Keathley
07-05-2013, 11:39 PM
That looks way too nice to be in my shop.

Really nice work though.

Joseph Tarantino
07-06-2013, 8:57 AM
hey ole. do those holes in the insert really help with dust collection?

Ole Anderson
07-06-2013, 6:47 PM
hey ole. do those holes in the insert really help with dust collection?

Some. Hard to tell how much. Not a panacea.

Dan Barber1
07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Ole:

How do you like the Shark Guard? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Dan B

Ole Anderson
07-07-2013, 7:34 PM
Ole:

How do you like the Shark Guard? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Dan B

I love it, very fast off and on, including the splitter unless you need to rip a miter, then the quick release lever is in the way and it takes some doing to get it off. May be specific to my G1023. I went with the 3" hose version.