PDA

View Full Version : 12" CMS accuracy vs 10" CMS

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-14-2010, 7:30 AM
I have heard that a 12" saw will have more deflection than a 10" saw, but is it noticeable in a CMS if it does not have the slider? I would like the extra cross cut from the 12" saw, but don't want the to sacrifice accuracy of the cut. Would it be better to get a 12" CMS or a 10" SCMS? I would like to keep price lower, that is why I was thinking of the 12" CMS. Also, 8" would cover probably 90% of my crosscut needs.

I have been looking at purchasing the reconditioned Hitachi C12FDH 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw. It is just under $200 and I have heard good things about it. Anyone had experience with this saw? In the $200 - $300 price range is there a better saw that I should be looking at?

Don Morris
01-14-2010, 8:22 AM
I guess it depends on what you do. In a post just prior to this, one of the responders mentioned something that rings true when talking about this issue. If you have to do something that requires dead on accuracy, do it on the table saw with a sled. I have an older 10" Hitachi SCMS and was considering a new 12" for the taller fences and extra length of cut. I kept my 10" and added my own taller fence because I read one high end contractor went back to 10" sliders after his experience with 12"s because of the loss of accuracy. Even though I think my 10" comes awfully close to dead on, if I really need dead on 45 degree miters, I use a miter sled, on the TS. If not, my Hitachi is a great machine.

Matt Stiegler
01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I have heard that a 12" saw will have more deflection than a 10" saw, but is it noticeable in a CMS if it does not have the slider? I would like the extra cross cut from the 12" saw, but don't want the to sacrifice accuracy of the cut. Would it be better to get a 12" CMS or a 10" SCMS? I would like to keep price lower, that is why I was thinking of the 12" CMS. Also, 8" would cover probably 90% of my crosscut needs.

Check out Sarge's post here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79904), suggesting deflection is a mis-diagnosis of the problem.

Don Morris
01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Probably some truth to the blade factor in that. I have a Chopmaster on my Hitachi, maybe that's why I'm so happy with it. Jeremy, you should also be aware that there is a difference in blades for SCM's and TS's. They can be interchanged, but aren't as efficient when that is done. I wonder if there might also be some performance difference too??? Probably not, but I wouldn't chance it. A thin kerf blade in a 12" just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I've eliminated the thin kerfs altogether in my shop. 1) I've got a cabinet saw that will cut thicker woods with little problem. 2) I needed to simplify my life when measuring as it became a PITA switching back and forth 3) eliminates having to change blades sometimes frequently 4) the wood savings is usually minimal 5) there goes your ZCI unless you make one up for your thin kerf too 6) if you put a blade stiffiner on the 10" thin kerf you can't raise the blade all the way, 7) did I mention it simplified my life? Probably still comes down to how accurate you have to be depending on what you do. High end picture framer...Hmmm...12" SCMS....I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that.

scott spencer
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Jeremy - Because the span of the blade is larger, it makes sense that a 12" blade will be more likely to deflect than a 10" blade that's identical except for diameter, but I'm not sure that the same would be true of just a 12" saw vs a 10" saw if all else is equal.

John Callahan
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
imho a 12" CMS is a very good compromise price/capacity wise. The trim outfit I worked for used them and they handled 95% of the work with the exception of stair skirt and stair treads. My own saw is a 12" CMS- Makita LS 1220 which has served me well.......... the current LS1221 is basically a decontented of the LS1220. Don't know about the Hitachi model you're interested in. There is more deflection with a 12" blade but I've not found it to be an issue. Trim stock tends to be small and less likely to deflect the blade. Larger stock may more likely to deflect the blade but even here I've not found it to be an issue. Another vote for the Forrest Chopmaster. The Freud LU85 cut equally as well but in daily use it didn't hold up anywhere near as well.

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
So has anyone used the Hitachi C12FDH 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw? If so do you like it, or had problems with it?