PDA

View Full Version : ot phone trouble

Mike Stanton
10-17-2004, 5:01 PM
I have had a lot of trouble with my phone not letting calls come in. I have tried every think and I traced it down to my computer. It works fine if I unhook my phone jack from the computer. Thanks for any help Mike

Ken Garlock
10-17-2004, 5:25 PM
Hi Mike. Here is a WAG, but do you have a fax task on your computer? If so, one of the options is probably set to answer the phone on the first ring. If that is the case, you can change the answer options on the fax control panel so that it will answer on the third ring, etc.

I tried playing with the computer fax several years ago and gave up because of the options we use on our answering machine. Finally, our daughter gave us an old fax machine from her business. IMO, fax is an outdated idea.

Joseph N. Myers
10-17-2004, 5:29 PM
Mike,

Had that problem about a month ago with my main phone number. My daughter's modem was picking up the phone as in "fax mode". I just have her keep it unplugged until she need to log on.

(Haven't taken the trouble to see if I can disable the answer feature as she used to log in and leave the house with it still logged in. This is easier than trying to get her to remember to logoff).

Regards, Joe

John Shuk
10-17-2004, 7:04 PM
I work for the phone company and see this alot. It could be your settings on the modem or you may have taken a surge and now have what is called a high resitant short. If that is the case you would get a very short ring and it would either go busy or act as if the phone had been picked up from the callers end. Even though you may have a surge protector this can happen. Check your settings and if they are OK try plugging in and dial from a cell phone and see what happens. I would say a high short is the problem.

Mike Stanton
10-17-2004, 8:24 PM
John my computer always works when I use the modem. The phone does not work when the cord is conected to the computer. If the computer is not pluged to thephone line . The phone works alright. Mike