PDA

View Full Version : Google Sketchup

Anthony Scira
01-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Did a search for Sketchup and seems they are pretty old threads.

I have not heard of anyone using the Pro Version ($495) that lets you create 2d from your 3d drawings.

I wish they gave you a longer trial. Its only 8 hours ! It will take me that long just to figure out where the things in the menu are that I need.

You can download the free version to play with the 3D portion of the program. But I think the thing that would be useful is the ability to export the vector and raster images in 2D. (which is the pay version)

Dan Hintz
01-14-2010, 8:38 AM
Anthony, look around for free plug-ins. I can't recall what was out there (been a year since I played with it), but I know quite a few plug-ins exist (such as getting the export to PDF option without going pro).

Scott Shepherd
01-14-2010, 8:41 AM
Not sure what you're trying to do in 3D, but if you want an amazing tool and you are computer savvy, you should check out Blender at http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/

It's incredible and does 3D modeling, which I believe you can render and pump out as 2D. It's not for the novice though, as it takes some things to be installed before it will even run. I think it needed Perl or something like that.

Marc Myer
01-14-2010, 1:11 PM
I have the full pro version and would be glad to convert/export files for you. Contact me offline and we can exchange emails.

Anthony Scira
01-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the offer Marc! I don't have any files really. I dont even really know how to phrase my question.

What I am looking for is the ability to have parts designed in a 3D mode to know they will fit together and then output the individual parts as vectors to the laser for cutting.

It can be kind of a pain in corel to keep everything aligned and know everything is going to fit.

Does that make sense ?

Holy Taco Scott ! That Blender looks awesome ! And while I consider myself computer savy that made my head spin a little. But I will be playing around with it !

Scott Shepherd
01-16-2010, 8:41 AM
Holy Taco Scott ! That Blender looks awesome ! And while I consider myself computer savy that made my head spin a little. But I will be playing around with it !

Yes, like you, I encountered ice cream headaches from it :) I got a little sickened when I searched for tutorials and found a series of them by a kid about 10 years old. I learned more from that kid than anywhere else.

I think the power is beyond compare for 3D stuff, and it's FREE!!! Gotta love those Open Source folks.

However, I felt like a 1st grader that showed up for advanced calculus classes. I think it has a lot of potential for laser folks wanted to do 3D, but I just don't have the free time to learn it. Also, I think my brain is getting close to being completely full :)

Dan Hintz
01-16-2010, 7:24 PM
I got a little sickened when I searched for tutorials and found a series of them by a kid about 10 years old. I learned more from that kid than anywhere else.
Your VCR still blinks 12:00, doesn't it... ;)

Anthony Scira
01-16-2010, 8:04 PM
What is a VCR ?

Scott Shepherd
01-16-2010, 8:16 PM
Yeah, get your shots in now before you watch this tutorial from someone that's younger than the underwear you are wearing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9EE5JLoCpk

:p