PDA

View Full Version : New toys - no playground!

John Keeton
01-13-2010, 8:17 PM
A day of mixed emotions! Received a big ol' box from Jeff Nicol stuffed full of new toys! I was excited!:D

Jeff made me a monster hollowing tool, with various cutters, including his adapted drill bit hollowing tip. The handle is elm, and beautifully done.
He even made me a tip that will accept a carbide insert! The cutter that is in there now is not carbide.
And, he made me a really pretty new steady for my Harbor Freight lathe -
But, alas, at 9:30 this morning I sold my little HF 34706!:eek: New toys - no playground!!

Not to worry, Jeff is going to make an adaptor plate so the steady will fit my new Delta!;) Hopefully in a few days, I will have a new "playground" so I can play with the new tool and cutters.

So, I spent a couple hours tonite cleaning up the shop, and making a place for the new lathe, instead of playing with my new toys!

David E Keller
01-13-2010, 8:22 PM
I almost started to cry for you... Then I realized that you've gotten more toys than I have recently. ;)

That looks like a pretty sweet set up from Jeff... Wonder if he's got mustard paint for one of those?

Looking forward to you getting set up and seeing what you crank out next.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2010, 8:32 PM
Good golly! This could be ugly! Keeton with withdrawal symptoms! Somebody grab one of those white jackets with the extra long sleeves that tie neatly in the back!

Congrats John!

Bob Haverstock
01-13-2010, 8:35 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1312173]A day of mixed emotions! Received a big ol' box from Jeff Nicol stuffed full of new toys! I was excited!:D

Jeff made me a monster hollowing tool, with various cutters, including his adapted drill bit hollowing tip. The handle is elm, and beautifully done.
And, he made me a really pretty new steady for my Harbor Freight lathe -

[But, alas, at 9:30 this morning I sold my little HF 34706!:eek: New toys - no playground!!

Not to worry, Jeff is going to make an adaptor plate so the steady will fit my new Delta!;) Hopefully in a few days, I will have a new "playground" so I can play with the new tool and cutters.

John,

I have tool rest envy. My birthday present is coming from the Wooden Nicol.

Bob

Bill Bolen
01-13-2010, 8:41 PM
C'mon John, you don't realllllly need a steady to get those hollowing tools going!..Bill..

Gary Conklin
01-13-2010, 8:58 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oTjPRtArXbw/SphcUGKKLpI/AAAAAAAACEQ/V5AWPr-NLXA/s400/YouSuckBigTime.jpg

Way to go on the new TOYLS! Can't wait to see you HF's. But dude seriously you are giving me tool envy!!:(

Doug W Swanson
01-13-2010, 8:59 PM
You could make a rollerblade out of your steady rest and skate around your shop until your new lathe shows up!

You could also practice changing the bits in your hollowing system. Then you could make 14 second pit stops like the NASCAR guys!

Doug

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
John - congrats on getting all the new tools! Kind of a pain to have them and not be able to use them - but at least you have them!

Congrats on selling your lathe! Makes things easier to move up the tool ladder when you can move those tools you have outgrown!

Hope you get the new lathe real soon!

Steve Mawson
01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Looks like a great deal on the tools. Didn't take long to move the old lathe. Nice to have the funds when bills come due for the new stuff. Let us know how they work when you get the lathe set up.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
It's ok John. Really just tell yourself it is ok.:eek::cool: The playground will be back.:D;) Congrats on the new tools John. You are going to go great guns when the new toy errrr..... I mean tool comes in.

gary Zimmel
01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Congrats on the new toys John.
And sorry they will be paper weights for the next couple of days....

I bet that shop of yours is going to be mighty clean with the extra time on your hands.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your post but I was in my shop making a bowl.:D

Dan Forman
01-14-2010, 6:08 AM
John---Looks like you have some cool new stuff to play with when your lathe arrives. I've got a playground, but have been spending the last two days rebuilding my 1930's era toilet. Any "old porcelain" fans out there?

Dan

Roger Bullock
01-14-2010, 6:50 AM
Nice, really nice.... could you consider this a little gloat before the big gloat get delivered.

Since you have no playground, you could send them over my way to play for awhile ;)

John Keeton
01-14-2010, 7:08 AM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your post but I was in my shop making a bowl.:DBoy, that was cruel!!!!:D

Haven't heard anything yet on the Delta, but not having the HF is a good thing - I will get a lot more done on a stand for the new lathe.

I was surprised on the sale of the lathe. Listed it on CL at 5:30pm and by 9pm, I had three solid bites, and a phone call that the first guy was coming to look at it.

Tony De Masi
01-14-2010, 7:29 AM
Congrats John. While you are waiting on your new toy maybe you should contact WMH and get a can of spray paint for that steady rest:D

Tony

Jerry Rhoads
01-14-2010, 7:49 AM
Nice looking tools John. Hope you get to use them soon

Jerry

John Keeton
01-14-2010, 8:03 AM
Congrats John. While you are waiting on your new toy maybe you should contact WMH and get a can of spray paint for that steady rest:D

TonyThat is actually a great idea, Tony!!! Maybe Appliance White from the hardware store would match??!?

Baxter Smith
01-14-2010, 9:00 AM
Congrats on the new things to try! Sometimes its better to not be able to do the things you want to do - so you can do the things you need to do!:) Good luck on the stand and tool holders.

John Keeton
01-14-2010, 9:59 AM
Baxter, looks like I will have more time than I anticipated! They are out of stock on the lathe, and it won't ship until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.:( Hope to get enough info to have the stand ready and waiting!

charlie knighton
01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
great gloat, anticipation will build, delivery is sweet, enjoy

Brian Effinger
01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
That is actually a great idea, Tony!!! Maybe Appliance White from the hardware store would match??!?

I'm thinking (& I'm sure he's thinking) a nice mustard yellow. :D

BTW, nice tools. Those hollowing tools look really interesting. Congratulations, John! :)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your post but I was in my shop making a bowl.:D

HA!!! You are a funny man, Mr. Zimmel. :D

Rob Cunningham
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
John, sounds like the Carly Simon song is playing in your head - "Anticipation"
The new tools look really nice. Before you know it you'll be up to your ankles in shavings again.

steven carter
01-14-2010, 1:35 PM
John,

Contrats on the quick sale of you old lathe. I'm sure the wait will be worth it when it is finally over. Jeff is a great guy to work with, I never did believe in that old saying about not taking any wooden nickels (nicols)!

Steve

Mauricio Ulloa
01-14-2010, 2:18 PM
Cool! Good for you! You'll have a great playground soon!!!!!!

Jeff Nicol
01-15-2010, 5:52 AM
John, Thanks for the rave review! I love to see my stuff in pictures on others benches. On my way out to the shop right now to package a hollowing tool for Switzerland and 7 steadies. Not much turning for me either!

Mustard is my favorite color too, John your new lathe will be in your hands soon, just stay calm!!

Jeff