PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14" BS....cost with upgrades????

George Farra
01-13-2010, 3:18 PM
Guys

Before I scour the entire state of NJ for a Lowes that will sell me a Delta 14" BS for $150 I want to make sure its gonna be worth it.

Saw $150
Riser kit $150
New bearings, V belt...dunno $40?
New fence....dunno $100

At the end of the day its a $440-$460 investment in a 3/4hp saw with a 12" resaw capability. If I want the saw to be able to resaw boards up to 10"...oak/maple/cherry/mahagony.....should I simply look at a better saw?

Thoughts?

TIA

George

Cliff Holmes
01-13-2010, 3:22 PM
Assuming you're talking about the Delta 28-276 that Lowes generally sells, I'd pass. I got one a couple years ago and really didn't like it. You can see the full details at http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/delta_bandsaw_28-276.html

I overreacted and went with a Powermatic 14". While it's not bad, it's not that great and with hindsight I'd take a real hard look at Grizzly's bandsaws.

Myk Rian
01-13-2010, 3:23 PM
I have a used 14" Delta USA that I have $600 into. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Van Huskey
01-13-2010, 3:42 PM
I would want twice that much power for resawing 10" hardwood. Consider finding a high HP saw used or give the Rikon a look, nice machine for $800.

George Farra
01-13-2010, 3:44 PM
Yup I'm talking about the 28-276. I know that this saw has had a lukewarm following. I don't mind spending the money when I know its money well spent, and I'm on the fence with this one. Appreciate you sharing your experience

Other comments on this saw would be greatly appreciatted

TIA

George

Chip Lindley
01-13-2010, 3:53 PM
George, over a period of time I upgraded my new 1995 Delta 14" BS:

$440, new 28-243 BS w/open stand, no motor.
$50 for a refurbished Craftsman 1hp. TEFC Farm Duty motor.
$110 for an original Rockwell riser kit, eBay.
$80 for Carter/Delta guides, eBay.

That's $680 without other improvements, including a nice NOS enclosed stand, Delta mobile base, and power twist belt, all on eBay. Another $190ish.

You are wayy below that. Of course, quality of a current Delta BS made in China is not what it was in 1995. I suggest you look for a decent used Delta/Rockwell BS on CraigsList. I have no doubt you will get more bang for the buck! I seldom see a 14" BS bring much ! Happy Hunting!

Cary Falk
01-13-2010, 4:23 PM
I would look at the G0555 if I were you. I had a Delta 28-206 14" asns was not happy with it.

Al Willits
01-13-2010, 4:32 PM
I have the Delta with the riser and the rest of the stuff on it, and while it works nice, whenever I resaw wider boards I wish I had more saw.

If I didn't resaw, it'd been a good saw, but for what I do I just keep wishing I'd went up a step or two.

Al

James Carmichael
01-13-2010, 4:37 PM
should I simply look at a better saw?

If you expect to resaw 10"-wide hardwood boards with much frequency, I'd say yes, if you have a way of face-jointing them.

I suppose there are uses for 12" of resaw capacity that don't require jointing that full width (maybe sawing bowl blanks?), but since I only have a 6" jointer, I've found all the riser block has done is put the tension knob up where I have to stretch to reach it. That, and force me to buy slightly more expensive blades.

I'm assuming the $150 is a Lowes closeout?

Stephen Edwards
01-13-2010, 4:50 PM
$150 bucks sounds high for the riser block, to me. I'm with Cary on this one: if you're looking for a new 14" BS the Grizzly 555 series has a lot of happy owners, including me. I have two of them, the G0555 and the G0555X.

Though I have no experience with them myself, I also understand that some people are pleased with the Ridgid.

If I were shopping today for a new 14" BS for resawing, the only other one that I'd consider other than the Grizzly G0555X would be the Rikon. With the riser block added to the Grizzly, the Grizzly and the Rikon come out to about the same money.

Perhaps others who have a BS with 3/4 HP motor and riser block can chime in as to their experience with resawing 10" boards. As Van mentioned, I'd be leery of only having a 3/4 HP motor for that size resawing.

On the other hand, I wouldn't rule out buying used either! Lots of good deals out there right now on used WW machines.

Good Luck!

Jim Rimmer
01-13-2010, 5:01 PM
I would look at the G0555 if I were you. I had a Delta 28-206 14" asns was not happy with it.
+1 That's the one I'm looking at. Wish I had bought it before the new year when they had it on sale. I'm going to hold off and see if there are any more sales later in the year.

Michael O'Sullivan
01-13-2010, 7:06 PM
Do all of the recent vintage Delta 14" bandsaws have the same "bones" -- in the sense of the wheels, castings, table, trunnion etc., with the only variability being in the base and the motor size? For example, is there a difference between the 28-276 and the 28-475 (X5) besides the closed base and higher HP (and better warranty)?

George Farra
01-13-2010, 7:26 PM
Yup, this would be the Lowes closeout saw.

Good point on the jointer.....mine is also 6" but I also use a sled with my DeWalt planer. I guess I'm concerned about outgrowing the saw.....but I guess the motor can always be upgraded?? Or I just buy the better saw.....I see where this is going ;)

Myk Rian
01-13-2010, 7:29 PM
Most all of them had either closed or open base.
I have a 2001 28-299 1hp closed USA. Everything looks the same as an older Rockwell Delta I have access to.
Main differences between older-newer-newest are the wheel covers.
The older ones have 2 knobs, newer have 1 knob and a hinge, newest seem to have kept the hinges.
Newest ones have plastic trunion handles.

Thomas Stephenson
01-13-2010, 8:52 PM
Hey George, I have the Delta 28-276 but no riser block to resaw with, That being said I have had no problems resawing any hardwoods with the 3/4 h.p. motor, as with all resawing the key is the feed rate and blade, not h.p. I have a 3/4 inch ReSaw King blade from Laguna and their replacement ceramic guides and I can cut 1/32 inch veneers all day long with no problems, as far as a fence goes I just clamp a piece of extruded aluminum with a 6 inch piece of oak screwed to it to the table with some 3 inch Jet C-clamps and that works fine, no sense in going out spending tons of money on something fancy just to make my shop look good for my friends or people here.Other than that bandsaws are for cutting curves primarily and thats 1 thing this saw does well. As far as resawing I don,t know about anything over 6 -8 inches but it will do those just fine if you go at the proper feed rate and have a good blade, Tommy:cool:

George Farra
01-13-2010, 9:31 PM
Tom,

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to see if I can find the saw at my local Lowes. After really thinking about it, the only time I would want to resaw 10" wide stock is to make a veneer which is not going to be often. most likely reserved for that greatly figured peice that ya get lucky to own!

regards

George