PDA

View Full Version : De-Solv-it Solvent

Bill Jermyn
01-13-2010, 2:30 PM
I had bought some De-Solv-it Contractor's Solvent a while ago at the local hardware store to degrease some stainless steel before applying Cermark (works great).

Today I was doing some lamacoids with Rowmark Textures (which I haven't used much before). The staining was horrible. I tried DNA and soap & water without much success. I thought I'd have to re-do them with masking. I tried this stuff and scrubbed them with a toothbrush and they're perfect. I just hope it doesn't cause any problems later, but it's a citrus type cleaner, so I'm hoping not. I had tried normal citrus cleaner, but it didn't do the trick.

Just thought I'd pass the info on. The manufacturer is Orange-Sol Household Products Inc - made in USA. It dries out the skin on your hands, so gloves may be useful.

Customary disclaimer...

Dee Gallo
01-13-2010, 2:37 PM
Bill,

I love De-Solve It! I use it all the time, and buy it by the caseload. It works like a charm for cleaning, degreasing and I use it when paint filling plastics with oil based paint. You're right, none of the other citrus based cleaners is the same... some of them will actually discolor any plastic it touches, so watch out!

It's hard to find in my local stores, sometimes I will run across it in a drugstore or hardware store, but not often.

cheers, dee

Bill Jermyn
01-13-2010, 5:39 PM
Do you use it to remove the excess paint then?

Dee Gallo
01-13-2010, 7:48 PM
Yes, I fill the grooves, wait a few minutes, spray a paper towel lightly, and wipe the plastic quickly over it...which will not clean it completely but remove most of it. Then, I let it it dry to a more solid stage (an hour, even overnight) and then wipe it on a dampened towel again. Once the paint is completely dry, you can buff the heck out of it. I've washed this paint with soap and water and wiped vigorously without losing any paint. If you want to change the color, you have to scrape it out.

I also use a silicone squeegee if I have a large area to clean, which removes 90% right away. Let it dry a bit and wipe off the rest as above.

The tiles in this pic are 1" wide x 1 1/4" long...

John Noell
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Dee, as usual those are FANTASTIC!

Dan Hintz
01-14-2010, 8:36 AM
Dee,

I've always been impressed with the tiles you make, but I'm curious how you achieve multiple colors. I'm assuming you are careful when wiping away extra paint not to wipe it towards a previously painted area of another color? Definitely a time-consuming job, but the results are obviously worth it.