PDA

View Full Version : Anyone deal with a cabinet maker in Chicago area?

Mitchell Andrus
01-13-2010, 2:13 PM
I've got a friend on a budget in the Chicago area in need of paint grade kitchen cabinets. I know there are plenty of firms making doors.... Do you know of one making basic boxes too?

I could do it for him but the shipping alone kills the budget.

TIA

Michael Schwartz
01-13-2010, 2:19 PM
not exactly what your looking for but if there is an Ikea in the area, they have a line of cabinets.

keith micinski
01-13-2010, 2:50 PM
Look on Craigslist there is a firm that premakes all of the panels and then they ship them to you and you put them together. They are a step above the quality you could go get at the box stores.

Jason Strauss
01-13-2010, 5:46 PM
Mitch,

While I’m not exactly a “business” yet, I have made cabinets. I’m in the midst of a full kitchen project for my wife’s uncle right now. I’m just about finish with this project – hickory with beaded door panels. I’d be willing to talk to your friend about what I can do, even if it’s just carcasses. I made the carcasses for my current project from pre-finished (UV coated) maple ply – very nice stuff. PM me if you’d like to discuss. I live in NW Indiana and work in downtown Chicago.

Bob Falk
01-13-2010, 6:07 PM
I just bought a used Sawstop saw from a guy in south Chicago who is in the remodeling and cabinet making business. Seemed like a decent fellow and writes for homebuilding and woodworking magazines, so I think he knows his stuff.

Greg Burnet
Manor Redevelopment
773 925-4150

Victor Robinson
01-13-2010, 7:08 PM
not exactly what your looking for but if there is an Ikea in the area, they have a line of cabinets.

+1 for Ikea boxes. Depending on the size, the box runs between $20-40, in white or "birch effect". Yes it's melamine coated particle board, but as long as you don't plan to drown the cabs, it's fine. As a bonus, the shelf holes are pre-drilled for ya.

The Ikea hardware (hinges, drawer slides, etc.) is Blum, and it's good. Just add your own custom doors and you're golden.

We redid our kitchen about 9 months ago with Ikea carcasses and custom doors. Brilliant. And certainly much easier and faster than building the boxes myself.

Mike Heidrick
01-13-2010, 8:45 PM
What is the budget? If it is low I would not send him to a woodworker, I would send him to Menards or a BORG for their cabinets. Or Ikea I guess LOL.