PDA

View Full Version : What Charities do you Trust?

Brian Kent
01-13-2010, 1:04 PM
With the earthquake in Haiti, governments and charities are rushing to help.

For those who want to help out, do you have a charity that you trust, in terms of delivering help in the way that you want and in terms of their financial accountability.

I hope for more positive recommendations than warnings about misuse of gifts on this thread, though I know the warnings are very important.

Thanks,

Brian Kent

Brent Ring
01-13-2010, 1:14 PM
I am a member of the LDS church. They are extremely well known for their assistance during disasters such as this and the moneys are well used. I am sure if you contacted a local LDS bishop and said you wanted to make a donation for Haiti, he could take care of that.

I work for a large (worldwide) software manufacturer and they donate to CARE and the American Red Cross, as have I.

Just a thought or two.

Art Mulder
01-13-2010, 1:36 PM
For those who want to help out, do you have a charity that you trust, in terms of delivering help in the way that you want and in terms of their financial accountability.

CRWRC (http://www.crwrc.org/pages/crwrc.cfm) - Christian Reformed World Relief. Yes, a christian organization. They do relief and rebuilding all over the world, from third world stuff, to supplying goats in Africa, to domestic efforts after Hurricane Katrina and so on.

I also trust Amnesty International, the Arthritis Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and several others -- but I don't think they're oriented toward helping in Haiti ;)

Bob Vavricka
01-13-2010, 4:04 PM
Brian,
I don't have a recommendation for you, but I use http://www.charitynavigator.org/ (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6162) to get a better picture of the charities I donate to. It has helped eliminate some from my list and feel better about others.
Bob V.

Ethan Vos
01-13-2010, 4:40 PM
CRWRC (http://www.crwrc.org/pages/crwrc.cfm) - Christian Reformed World Relief. Yes, a christian organization. They do relief and rebuilding all over the world, from third world stuff, to supplying goats in Africa, to domestic efforts after Hurricane Katrina and so on.

I was going to suggest the same. My son and I and a bunch of people from our church are going to the New Orleans area in March to help with the rebuilding effort there.

Pat Germain
01-13-2010, 4:55 PM
I sponsor a child through Compassion International. She's a 7 year old girl in Peru. I did research before doing so and discovered CI to be among the most well administered charities in the world. The CEO is a member of my church. (Although, we don't see him much. He spends almost all his time travelling around the world to make sure CI stays well administered.)

My daughter has since started working for CI. From the inside, she also reports everything is top notch, on the level and first rate.

During a disaster such as an earthquake, we want to help and we want to help now. But please consider a long term commitment by sponsoring a child through Compassion International. You can choose to sponsor a child in Haiti. Your money will go directly to that child month after month. You can even write your sponsored child directly and they write back. Really! After this earthquake, those kids are going to need help more than ever; and long after much of the immediate help stops.

The CI web page also currently has a "Donate Now" link for a one-time contribution to help the people of Haiti:

www.compassion.com (http://www.compassion.com)

Although the url is a ".com", they are a non-profit. I think they use .com because that's what most people are familiar with. (That and I think someone else registered "compassion.org".)

Josh Reet
01-13-2010, 4:56 PM
Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Two groups who put their money (and action) where their mouths are.

Pat Germain
01-13-2010, 5:14 PM
My daughter just sent me an email about Haiti which included this:

"We haven't been able to get any information back regarding children who have been affected/killed by the earthquake. All communication is down...in every part of the country! Please be praying."

That Charity Navigator site is great! Thanks for the link, Bob.

Jerome Stanek
01-13-2010, 6:36 PM
Salvation Army When I was in the national guard at the Kent State riots the Red Cross came in and wanted us to pay for there services but the Salvation amry showed up and gave out coffee, donuts, news papers and sandwichs for free. Some nights that was the only food that I got after coming in from guard duty. I make sure I give to them when I can. No Red cross for me.

Bill Davis
01-13-2010, 7:24 PM
Samaritans Purse
World Vision

Brian Kent
01-13-2010, 7:35 PM
The two that I have always trusted are the Salvation Army and the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). UMCOR's specialty will be in the upcoming months and years - long term helping people get their lives and livelihood back together. It is good to hear some names of groups that do immediate relief help.

Brian

Chris Ricker
01-13-2010, 8:58 PM
I believe UNICEF is contributing greatly to this disaster as well.

unicef.org

Bill Clifton
01-13-2010, 9:07 PM
+1 on UMCOR

Anthony Scira
01-13-2010, 9:41 PM
Just text 90999 with the message "haiti" in the message body to donate 10 dollars from your cell phone to the Red Cross.

In cases like this you always see the Red Cross, that is where my money went.

http://newsroom.redcross.org/2010/01/12/disaster-alert-earthquake-in-haiti/

Joe Finch
01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I sponsor a child through Compassion International. She's a 7 year old girl in Peru. I did research before doing so and discovered CI to be among the most well administered charities in the world. The CEO is a member of my church. (Although, we don't see him much. He spends almost all his time travelling around the world to make sure CI stays well administered.)

My daughter has since started working for CI. From the inside, she also reports everything is top notch, on the level and first rate.

During a disaster such as an earthquake, we want to help and we want to help now. But please consider a long term commitment by sponsoring a child through Compassion International. You can choose to sponsor a child in Haiti. Your money will go directly to that child month after month. You can even write your sponsored child directly and they write back. Really! After this earthquake, those kids are going to need help more than ever; and long after much of the immediate help stops.

The CI web page also currently has a "Donate Now" link for a one-time contribution to help the people of Haiti:

www.compassion.com (http://www.compassion.com)

Although the url is a ".com", they are a non-profit. I think they use .com because that's what most people are familiar with. (That and I think someone else registered "compassion.org".)

i do something similiar with a org called children international. i have a little boy in mexico. you can also get a child or many childred in haiti.

before you donate to any charity always findout what percentage of your donation actually goes to the people

Steve Rozmiarek
01-14-2010, 1:28 AM
I read that something like 90% of the Haitian population is Catholic. I'm not really, so I don't know, but I'd think that church would be uniquely positioned to be able to pass on help to where it was actually needed. I imagine they have a church based charity program?

Josh Reet
01-14-2010, 1:48 AM
Salvation Army When I was in the national guard at the Kent State riots the Red Cross came in and wanted us to pay for there services but the Salvation amry showed up and gave out coffee, donuts, news papers and sandwichs for free. Some nights that was the only food that I got after coming in from guard duty. I make sure I give to them when I can. No Red cross for me.

I'm not going to argue with you about what you experienced at Kent st, that sounds screwed up for sure. However, I think in the decades since the Red Cross has more than proved its value in dozens of disasters. Judging the whole organization for the actions of one group of Red Cross members in one situation from 40 years ago would seem to be a bit unfair.

As far as I am concerned, Red Cross and Red Crescent are good organizations who help millions of people. They are often the only people who can get into see hostages or war prisoners. I would hate to see the world without the work that they do.

But I sure agree with you about the Salvation Army.

Neal Clayton
01-14-2010, 2:29 AM
I read that something like 90% of the Haitian population is Catholic. I'm not really, so I don't know, but I'd think that church would be uniquely positioned to be able to pass on help to where it was actually needed. I imagine they have a church based charity program?

i was gonna suggest that. and it applies in new orleans as well. they ran many social services in that city.

their charities are consistently around 90% "paid out" in that there are very little "administrative costs" (which in red cross terms means "we made all this money we have to spend it since we're a non profit, give all the management a raise and a bonus").

they do take vows of poverty after all... no cadillacs and armani suits for catholic priests ;).

i'm not a catholic, fwiw, but i can appreciate their charitable work after having lived in a predominantly catholic city.

their charitable organizations all fall under the name "Catholic Charities". google should turn up plenty.

Gene Howe
01-14-2010, 8:15 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!!
I had the same experience in Seward AK after the sunami resulting from the AK quake in the 60's.
Forget the Red Cross!

Stan Johnsey
01-14-2010, 8:43 AM
Salvation Army.

Anthony Scira
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Salvation Army and Red Cross are both great organizations. And if I were in the NG and the Salvation Army was giving away free doughnuts and coffee I know where my alligence would lay.

Pat Germain
01-14-2010, 11:27 AM

I've actually been to Haiti and Port au Prince. Interestingly, what I'm not seeing in new reports is the local faith is actually Catholic with Voodoo. I'm not being a smart alec here. It's true and I think it's very interesting.

I'm sure the Catholic church is already doing what it can. But I suspect most charities will be pretty limited until the major logistical hurdles are overcome. The aircraft carrier Carl Vinson and a hospital ship are on the way. This will go a long way to providing medivac, trauma care on the ground and getting food and water into the city.

This disaster is going to be of epic proportions. Right now there are hundreds of thousands of people in Port au Prince with no water, no food, no shelter and no medical care.

There are also many thousands of people dead in the city. This is not only tragic, but a serious health hazard in a tropical climate.

The challenges are overwhelming.

Andy Pogue
01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Estes Church of Christ, Henderson Tn. www.estes.tn.org (http://www.estes.tn.org)

They will be taking a plane with supplies and workers from the church and a college in town. No paid workers, only volenteers so little if any overhead. we give monthly as they support a children's home there and go regulary to check on them.

Jim Rimmer
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
I sent a donation to Samaritan's Purse. It is run by Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's son.

John Pratt
01-14-2010, 1:26 PM
Samaritans Purse, Salvation Army, and CRWRC are all great choices.

Sorry, no Red Cross for me. At Walter Reed Army Hospital they wanted to charge soldiers to rent playing cards and ping-pong balls (Yes, rent. They made you turn them in when you were done). They have done some good things over the years, but I have a real problem with a charitable organization that has executives making over $500K a year in salary.

Josh Reet
01-14-2010, 1:56 PM
Sorry, no Red Cross for me. At Walter Reed Army Hospital they wanted to charge soldiers to rent playing cards and ping-pong balls (Yes, rent. They made you turn them in when you were done). They have done some good things over the years, but I have a real problem with a charitable organization that has executives making over $500K a year in salary.

That's pretty strange with the cards and whatnot. My initial reaction is to be unimpressed. I wish I could get some more info on why they have things set up like that. But that still doesn't negate all the good work they have done around the world over the years. After all, it shouldn't be up to the Red Cross to make life better at Walter Reed, that is a responsibility of the American government. Don't let someone else take the blame for their failure.

Regarding executive pay, the Red Cross is an organization with a $3.5 billion (yes, that's billion with a "B") budget. Who exactly do you want to be heading it? Some idealistic hippie or preacher? No. The thing is larger than all but the biggest businesses in the country. $500,000 is VERY cheap when you consider what someone who is qualified to run a $3.5b company could be making at Boeing or Microsoft or Morgan Stanley.

NOTE: I'm having a hard time finding the accurate budget number. Some sources place it as high as $9b, but $3.5b seems to be what their financial statement says to me. Read it yourself here:

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/Governance/file_cont8341_lang0_3599.pdf

Forbes lists the $9b number for fiscal year ending '06:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/14/pf_07charities_American-Red-Cross_CH0013.html

Brian Kent
01-14-2010, 9:09 PM
Sorry to unload, folks, but I need to ask for your prayers and hopes.

Along with the multitudes of people I don't know, I just found out that three of our mission people entered the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince Haiti shortly before it collapsed. They have not been found yet.

Sam Dixon, head of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR - my most trusted charity),
Clinton Rabb, head of United Methodist Volunteers in Mission,
and Jim Gulley, an UMCOR consultant.

UMCOR's main work in Haiti has been in sustainable agriculture. UMVIM organizes a lot of volunteer groups for orphanage and other work there. I don't know why they were in Haiti this time. I attended a seminar that they gave a couple of years ago in California, ironically, on earthquake preparedness.

Thanks for listening.

Brian

Harry Hagan
01-14-2010, 11:32 PM
A local news story reminded me of a Louisville-based organization whose sole purpose is to provide what Haitians desperately need at the moment; life-saving medical supplies and equipment. The organization is called Supplies Over Seas.

Today I helped collect, sort, and package medical supplies for SOS’s relief effort knowing that those items are urgently needed in Haiti. If you live in the Louisville area, more volunteers are needed.

Here’s a link to the SOS website if you’re considering donating to the Haitian relief effort.

http://www.hhministries.com/SOS.html

John Coloccia
01-15-2010, 5:24 AM
Salvation army.

Benjamin Dahl
01-15-2010, 6:18 AM
Here is another one.

http://www.clintonfoundation.org/haitiearthquake/
this has links to a number of other sites including Mercy Corps and UNICEF if you don't want to donate via Clinton.

Brian, I hope for good news for people from your mission. My work has taken me to Haiti a lot and I have heard that a number of friends and colleagues are dead or still missing. Pretty overwhelming.

Ben

Charles Wiggins
01-15-2010, 7:21 AM
Samaritan's Purse
Compassion International
Both get top ratings from http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Brian Kent
01-15-2010, 9:42 AM
Ben,

I am so sorry about your friends in Haiti. I pray that the missing may be found alive.

I got good news this morning that a number of people in the Hotel Montana survived in the rubble, including the 3 I mentioned before - Sam Dixon, Clinton Rabb, and Jim Gulley.

I am very thankful for their lives, while also awar that these ae just three out of tens of thousands.

Thank you for the kind words, Ben.

Brian

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2010, 10:30 PM

I guess somethings never change... That's EXACTLY what my father told me over 50 years ago. He was with the Royal Canadian Engineers in N.Africa & Italy during WW2, and spent 2 years in one of Franco's prisons during the Spanish Rev. (Capt. in the MacPaps).. When the kids at school would join the RedCross and put a sticker in the classroom window, there was no way he would allow me to participate, But he would give anything to the Sally Ann (Salvation Army).

Jon Lanier
01-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Every Church I have ever served has always supported I.D.E.S. (International Disaster Emergency Services) extremely accountable with funds that are given to them.

http://www.ides.org/

Jim Yankovich
01-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I contribute exclusively to "Knights Charities Inc", a 'get it done right now' arm of the Knights of Columbus which is a Fraternal men's organization within the Catholic Church. FWIW,... KCI wire contributed $50,000 to immediate relief in Haiti just hours after the earthquake. There is no adman expenses....100% goes to where it supposed to go. Interestingly enough, the Knights do what they do for the benefit of ALL the oppressed in a disaster situation.

Gerold Griffin
01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
There are an awful lot of real good charity organizations out there, and unfortunatly some that are not so good. Having come thru hurricane Katrina and seeing first hand what differant groups do, without a doubt, I would support ANY CHURCH sending SUPPLIES and/or PEOPLE to aid in the recovery. I lost count of how many tractor trailor loads of supplies I helped unload form all over the country sent in by local churches. The volunteers who came where life savers. These people put everything in thier lives on hold to lend a hand, to perfect strangers, sometimes at great cost to themselves. Example: A group of Canadians told their boss that they where coming down to help out. The boss threatened to fire them if they left. This group promply left anyway. I could go on and on with differant things that happened down here but to be honest I'm gettin a misty eyed remenbering it.

Dave McGeehan
01-18-2010, 5:47 PM
I donated through AARP because they match dollar for dollar and claim 100% goes to Haiti with nothing taken out for administrative costs. FYI-I am not affiliated with AARP nor am I a member.