PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

Tony Shaftel
10-17-2004, 2:44 PM
I'm saving up for a 14" bandsaw and finding it difficult to choose.

It will be used mostly for detail work. Smaller blades. No riser. Example: bandsaw boxes. I'm willing to wait and let the pot grow in order to pay for real quality and performance.

I don't trust manufacturers claims or, in today's global economy, a product's history however long and storied. Nor, lacking experience with them, am I able to evaluate the actual value of some touted features.

So, some questions:

1) Just how much advantage is gained by having the lower guide 3/4" below the table as opposed to 2 1/2" below the table? Is this advantage significant and insurmountable? If so, I suppose Delta is the only choice.

2) A restatement of question 1: Can the same level of detail work be done with the MiniMax S14 as can be done with the Delta 28-475X? (Despite my skepticism I tend to trust the quality and reliability of the Italian saws.)

3) I have read the forum discussion of the Delta 'X' series some time back, and the recent American Woodworker bandsaw review. Has anyone here used the 28-475X? Is it a high quality, well-executed product? What is the likelihood of getting one that is a work-in-progress (doors that don't fit, vibration that should have been caught in a QA test run, tensioning issues, etc.)

4) Now for the "storied" part. How far back in time do you have to go and which models do you look for to get a used Delta of the "they don't build 'em like they used to" era? I'm talking about the quality of the basic bandsaw and ignoring for the moment modern features such as tension-release levers, guide adjustment refinements, added horsepower, etc.

Was there really such an era, or was one set of issues just traded for another over time?

5) Can cool blocks be retrofitted to any of these saws, even the ones that come with bearing guides?

6) Where can you find these saws on display in the LA area? So far, I've only been able to find the Jet CS model, at Rockler in Pasadena.

7) Does it really matter, or will they all do what I want to do after a reasonable amount of tweaking and adjusting? (Ignore this question, which was asked by my laid-back, unobsessive evil twin.)

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Tony

Gilbert Vega
10-17-2004, 9:53 PM
3) I have read the forum discussion of the Delta 'X' series some time back, and the recent American Woodworker bandsaw review. Has anyone here used the 28-475X? Is it a high quality, well-executed product? What is the likelihood of getting one that is a work-in-progress (doors that don't fit, vibration that should have been caught in a QA test run, tensioning issues, etc.)

I have the X5 bandsaw and I'm totally satified with the quality and performance of the unit. Runs very smooth and highly recommend it. With the 2 hp motor (at 220v) resawing should be a breeze.

4) Now for the "storied" part. How far back in time do you have to go and which models do you look for to get a used Delta of the "they don't build 'em like they used to" era? I'm talking about the quality of the basic bandsaw and ignoring for the moment modern features such as tension-release levers, guide adjustment refinements, added horsepower, etc.

Was there really such an era, or was one set of issues just traded for another over time?

I also have a 1950 14" Delta Milwaukee bandsaw that I totally rebuilt while still maintaining the "old" look. I use a small blade on this one for doing sawing small parts. I got the saw free and haave spent a total of less than $200 rebuilding it. I have the original 3/4 hp motor in it and it is sufficient for small work. This could be a viable option for you since all the modern parts will fit.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus43/saw1a.gif

Tony Shaftel
10-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Nice looking old saw! What model number is it?

Gilbert Vega
10-17-2004, 10:53 PM
It's the 28-205.
Link to more pics.pics (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albus43&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php)

Tony Shaftel
10-17-2004, 11:12 PM
You really brought that one a long way. Is that the old motor?

Gilbert Vega
10-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Yes, it's the original motor.

Tim Palmer
10-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey Tony,

I know how you feel. I just bought the S14 and as soon as I get it together and use it some I will post a review with pics of course. When I was looking for a bandsaw I found that the Delta's and Powermatics were high quality saws and kind of pricey. Jet and Grizzely Were also great bandsaws. I had just heard about the S14 and called about them. I liked every thing I heard and decided to give it a try. Customer service was great and since I was one of the first to try it they sold it to me for $650.00 with a 1" blade and a 1/2" blade. They also let make payments until I had it paid off, then they shipped it to me. It looks great so far. Like I said I have to get it together and I will let you know. If you have any questions about the S14 let me know. The one thing that about this saw though is that it is only capable of resawing 8" unlike the 12" of the other saws. Good luck on your search

Tim

Tony Shaftel
10-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Nice price on the S14. They quoted me list plus shipping (3 blades included), but were willing to absorb some of the shipping. If I were to buy it I would want to get my own blades, but I'm not there yet.

Tim Palmer
10-18-2004, 12:48 AM
I think I finally figured out how to post the pictures so here are a couple of photos of it in my garage not together yet. Hope it works

Tim