PDA

View Full Version : Saw dust pile from fire wood

keith ouellette
01-13-2010, 9:52 AM
My fire wood is stacked right next to the door where my DC closet is, right in back of my shop. so When I noticed saw dust on the fire wood I didn't think twice about it bec ause there is saw dust on everything out there.

But the other day I picked up an un used log from my fire place hearth and there was the neatest little mound of fine sawdust under it. Like it was piled there on purpose.

Obviously some kind of insect?

I ruled out termites. Its not there MO.
And I ruled out carpenter ants because they would be visible.

I'm thinking some kind of beatle.

what do you think it could be and what could be done about it.

Greg Stanford
01-13-2010, 9:59 AM
bee maybe?

keith ouellette
01-13-2010, 10:51 AM
bee maybe?

No big holes. I do have some carpenter bees around so i know I can always here them when I disturb the nest. They're buzzing echos out of hte round hole they produce.
Remarkable little creatures.

David G Baker
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
How about powder post beetle?

Rob Cunningham
01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I was also thinking powder post beetle.

David G Baker
01-13-2010, 4:11 PM
Suggestion, never, never stack fire wood near or against a building or you may be feeding some very hungry cellulose eaters. The type that live in forests make the domestic critters look like pacifists.

keith ouellette
01-13-2010, 5:28 PM
I looked up powder post beetle and and saw some pictures. I discovered that one called the "old house borer" (ominous sounding name) looks very similar to if not exactly like an insect that seems to be attracted to the sound of my sthil fs250 string trimmer. They land on me quite frequently while I'm using it in the summer and only while I'm using the trimmer.

There are a few small powder post varieties of beetle in my area. some of the holes they leave are only 1mm wide so its would be hard to notice.

I'm gonna have to do some heavy spraying around the shop. its all wood frame.

I haven't seen one of them yet but it probably a safe bet thats what it is. I hope I didn't let any loose in the house.

David Helm
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Look for small (bb size) exit holes. These are probably Lyctids (common name powderpost beetles). They generally like hardwoods. I would remove the firewood from near your structure, these guys can do massive damage over time. Out here in Washington, we have a critter known as Anobiid beetle which favors softwood. Causes amazing structural damage to structures in western Washington. Why do I know this? I am a licensed Home Inspector and a licensed Structural Pest Inspector (wood destroying organisms).