PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion on adhesive

Mike Christen
01-13-2010, 9:14 AM
I have a job to make a lot of name plates for a transmission re-builder. I'm planing on using anodized aluminum. He wants to put them on the oil pan. Any thought on the adhesive to use, I was thinking of using banner tape. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Frank Corker
01-13-2010, 9:23 AM
Mike I can't suggest any brand name goods, but one thing you are going to have to consider is heat. Heat will remove so many adhesives you will have to be aware of the limitations. There are a lot of two pack epoxy resins/putty that probably would hold up to heavy duty wear and tear.

Doug Griffith
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
That's a pretty harsh environment for any adhesive. Plus, failure may not be with the glue or tape you use but the coating it's glued to. I'd mechanically fasten it. Find a tag with a hole in it and use one of the pan bolts to keep it in place. Just like OEM.

Rodne Gold
01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Use Silicon , same stuff you use to caulk a bath or join aquarium glass. You get em in high heat ranges for auto use (even bostic gasket maker will do)

Doug Griffith
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree with Rodne, a high quality heat and oil resistant silicone would work. I'd give it a few years before failure. I was a mechanic at one point in my life and continue to restore cars. I've never seen any auto manufacturer adhere any component to an engine or transmission. They are always mechanically fastened. Also, for some technical reason, I've noticed that the best oil and heat resistant silicones do not have the best adhesive qualities. It's a give and take.

Richard Rumancik
01-13-2010, 11:15 AM
That is a pretty aggressive environment you are talking about. I'd call up the local Loctite rep and see what they have to offer. I doubt that you will have success with a PSA.

Albert Nix
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah that was a past life for me also, about thrity years worth. But any way check with the tranny folks. Most rebuilder use an adhesive to fasten a small disk on the trannies about the size of a nickle and twice as thick. It has a soft center that melts away if the driver over heats the tranny. These are stuck on for pretty much for the life of the unit. If they can not help try an engine builder they use the same stuff.

Mike Christen
01-14-2010, 9:06 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I will do some more research and work with customer to determine best attachment method.