PDA

View Full Version : Shaker cabinet - Phase I - *Pics*

Erin Raasch
10-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Here it is - not quite complete, but I was getting antsy to show off some pics -

This is my second woodworking project, and my first hand tool project. With the exception of some thickness planing to get the stock close to the 5/8" and 1/2" finished thickness, and a couple of rip cuts on the table saw, all of the work was done with hand tools.

Phase I is the carcase and dividers, Phase II will be the drawers . . .
The dividers and back are poplar, and were finished with shellac and paste wax. The carcase is red elm which has been finished with BLO, but I will be giving it a layer of shellac, then paste wax.

Dick Parr
10-17-2004, 1:00 PM
Very nice Erin. Make sure you post some pictures when it is complete.

Tyler Howell
10-17-2004, 1:09 PM
You're fooling about that Noobee stuff. Looks like the work of a pro!:cool:

Too nice. Keep showing off

Ellen Benkin
10-17-2004, 2:11 PM
Very cool. Nice looking dovetails! Are the shelves inserted woth stopped dados -- very difficult to get them to come out right. One more question -- why did you choose to use 5/8 wood rather than 1/2 or 3/8?

Erin Raasch
10-17-2004, 2:28 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. The dividers are all set into stopped dadoes - and yes, they were a challenge :) (Actually, the whole project was a challenge, but that was intentional).

I went with 5/8" for the carcase because that's what the original piece used. I tried to keep it as close as possible to the original as I could (within the limitations of my skills). One significant change I made was to use through dovetails rather than half-blind for the corners of the carcase - I'll save those for a future project when I've gained a little more practice.

I chose this project specifically because it offered lots of opportunity for skill-building. When I started, I didn't set out to do it all by hand, and I actually had planned to cut the rabbets and dadoes with a router, as well as the round-over trim at the top front. But as I got into it, somehow using machines just didn't seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the piece, so I turned to the hand tools.

The whole project offered lots of opportunities for learning, in the areas of selecting, using and caring for hand tools. It's taken me many weeks just to get this far, but it's been a fantastic learning process.

I'll start on the drawers next Spring, and that will give me a chance to further refine my skills. They won't require any new techniques, but because of their small size, the tolerances will be that much tighter - much less room for error :)

Erin

Louis Bois
10-17-2004, 3:17 PM
Erin,

Now that the temperature is dipping and the shop is closing...how do you plan to keep your woodworking skills honed over the winter?!? Do you have a little dovetailing corner in the house somewhere?

Lovely work BTW. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece! I've been toying with the idea of Shaker style pieces for a while now...especially since I acquired John Kassar's excellent book.

Again, welcome to the world of woodworking and keep up the good work.

Doug Evans
10-17-2004, 7:59 PM
That's incredible! I think I'm going to take up golf and dump my tools in a fire barrel. Seriously - great work.

BTW, the poetic line (forgive my ignorance):

For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Where does that come from?

Doug

Jim Becker
10-17-2004, 8:21 PM
Erin, that's really beautiful work. I sure wish my hand-cut dovetails looked even a quarter that good!! I agree with Mr. Bois...and hope you can find a warm corner to continue your skills over the winter.

Erin Raasch
10-17-2004, 8:26 PM
BTW, the poetic line (forgive my ignorance):

For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Where does that come from?

Doug

It's a poem by Edwin Markham (about whom I know nothing other than this particular poem). I came across it in an anthology of poetry, and it just struck a chord with me - couldn't get it out of my head. I guess it kind of summarizes my approach towards life.

Erin

Louis Bois
10-17-2004, 9:02 PM
sorry for the digression...but here's a link to Mr. Markham information.

Doug Evans
10-17-2004, 9:27 PM
I have been gathering a number of brief lines like that one from old books, etc. and would like to include them as engravings on special pieces, etc.

Actually, there are a number of great quotes on these pages - an inspirational place this is!

I will see what I can dig out for XMAS stories this year, and kind of photo-journal it. I havent done this kind of stuff in quite awhile.

Again, nice work.

Doug

Louis Bois
10-17-2004, 9:32 PM
DOH! Somehow the link was lost... here it is again...

http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?45442B7C000C01050F

John Miliunas
10-17-2004, 9:39 PM
Very nicely done, Erin! :) I decided way back that, it was probably in my best interest to NOT continue trying to learn how to do handcut DT's! :o Between those and the stopped dado's, you've done a magnificent job! So much so that, if I were you, I think I'd consider doing something about heating your work space for continuing projects through the Winter! :cool:

Don Abele
10-17-2004, 9:53 PM
Erin, beautiful piece thus far. It'll be extraordinary when finished. I applaud your talent with hand tools. Mine with power tools, after many, many years of practice leaves much to be desired.

Be well,

Doc

Richard Gillespie
10-18-2004, 8:43 AM
Erin, Nicely done! My first efforts at wood working were no where near as good. You obviously have a talent for the work.

Jerry Palmer
10-18-2004, 10:06 AM
You're fooling about that Noobee stuff. Looks like the work of a pro!:cool:

Too nice. Keep showing off
Ain't that the truth. I've thought Erin has been sandbagging for some time now. Just way too quick a study. Well, if they don't get their shop heated, some of us will maybe have time to catch up with her by next spring.:cool:

Like I said over at that other place, great job Erin.

Kent Cori
10-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Erin,

You certainly believe in a challenge! There is no way my second woodworking project (a rocking horse for my then small son) comes anywhere near the complexity of your undertaking. It looks like it is progressing well and we all will want to see the finished product.

It's great to have another member from Badgerdom! Welcome to the Creek. :)