View Full Version : Vacum system for spalted wood....

Donny Lawson
01-13-2010, 6:48 AM
Does anyone have a system they use for stabilizing wood? If so could you post some pics of the process and the set up.I've got alot of spalted maple but would like to try to stabilize it first.I have used wood hardner before but I would like more info on a vacum system of some sort I can make.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Donny

Gary Conklin
01-13-2010, 7:41 AM
Better off with a pressure system. Check over on IAP the folks there use them for casting.

Greg Ketell
01-13-2010, 7:23 PM
If you go to their website and then append this /forum/showthread.php?t=28705 to the end of the URL you will come up with the design I did for a pressure & vacuum system.

GK

Better off with a pressure system. Check over on IAP the folks there use them for casting.

Gary Conklin
01-13-2010, 9:09 PM
Donny, sorry about the short post earlier today. I wanted to point you in the right direction, but did not have alot of time. I do not currently do this myself as I go the wood hardner route, or CA. Though some on this forum recommend using Epoxy thinned with DNA. I haven't quite figure out the epoxy and DNA thing so I still use a hardener or CA. Here is a quick Link (http://www.thepenshop.net/Library%20Tutorials%20and%20Reference/WorthlessWoodBlanks.pdf).

ron hossack
01-14-2010, 7:19 PM
I do a lot of spalted wood ... I use two methods mostly.

1 - vacuum + pickle jar

It takes two pulls with my small compressor to get -20+ hg.

Here in the winter months I use my Epoxy Martini on the spalted wood.

30 minute epoxy diluted with Isopropyl alcohol to the consistency of milk and paint it on the wood surface with a foam brush.

I drill the blank first with a 1/4" drill bit. It will drink it up as fast as you apply it and when you see it coming out the hole you've saturated the wood.