PDA

View Full Version : Worth the wait?

Bob Warfield
01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm new to woodworking as well as this forum. I'm in the market for a few sharpening tools and was wondering if I should wate for the woodworking show near me in early February or go ahead and get them now. Are there any deals at these shows?
Thank You,
Bob Warfield

Brian Kent
01-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't see significant deals, but I do like the opportunity to see things in person and maybe see some demonstrated.

David Gendron
01-13-2010, 1:18 AM
What kind of sharpewning tools are you after? And if the rep of that specific brand is at the show or not would probably make a difference in your decision to buy now or wait!

Jim Koepke
01-13-2010, 1:31 AM
Bob,

Welcome to the Creek.

Often at shows, you can save on shipping and there might be "show discounts" offered.

I am not sure who is sponsoring the show in your area, I do know some have demonstrations of products offered.

Lie-Nielsen lists sharpening and plane tune up demonstrations at their shows.

Depending on the kind of sharpening equipment that is garnering your interest, it might be good to see it in action at a show if it is going to be there.

My major piece of sharpening equipment was chosen based on a magazine review of about five units. It has done very well for me. Others like different systems. Everyone has different needs and that is why there is so many different things vying for our attention.

Now, after all of that, what kind of equipment are you considering?

jim

Bob Warfield
01-13-2010, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. There is a wood workers show the first part of February about 15 minutes from me in Collinsville, IL. Lee Valley is supposed to have a booth there and I am interested in their Veritas MKII honeing guide as well as their jointer/edger for jointing a saw. I also need a few files. If they might have any good deals I will wate as I'm in no hurry. Otherwise I could just stop by Woodcraft in St. Louis and make the purchase.
Thank You,
Bob Warfield

Zahid Naqvi
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Bob, the advice I get consistently, and I fully agree to it, is that in case of hand tools touch and feel are a major element that defines your preference for one style/type/brand vs the other. Granted you are talking about sharpening, but the "how it feels while using it" argument still applies. I suggest you wait till the show comes along, then you can try a bunch of stuff and if you don't like the prices you can always buy online later.

Jim Koepke
01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree with Zahid. Being able to put your hands on a product is a definite plus before buying. Also, there are often give away items at shows.

If Lee Valley is there, you may want to examine their Mk.II Power Sharpening System. I have one and am very happy with it. If you plan on buying a lot of used chisels and planes, you will eventually want a powered system for working on metal.

Having a guide for sharpening with hand power is also a good investment. I do a lot of free hand sharpening, but I can definitely see the advantage of a system to speed the process and reduce error.

jim

Bob Warfield
01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advise. I'll see what happens at the show.
Thank You,
Bob Warfield

Anchul Axelrod
01-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I just called Lee Valley today about the Kansas City show. Just like last year, they will be there, and they will have hand tools for demonstration purposes. You will NOT be able to walk out with anything. You can place an order at the show. The only "discount" will be free shipping. That is what I was told today.