PDA

View Full Version : Countersink Drill Bit Set

Brandon Weiss
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Tapered or straight? Why? What's the best out there? Economical as well...

Kent A Bathurst
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM

I have two different makes. Both are tapered, because the wood screws that go into them are tapered. I assume straight sets would work OK for tapered screws, but that last small section of thread won't bite.

Economical - well, I don't know about that - One of my sets is the "pro tapered" set from Rockler - on sale right now for $35, down from $55 - I think this is a heck of a deal - 6-8-10. My other set - the one I have had the longest, and replaced all the pieces a few times over the years - is Fuller. You can get all the parts and pieces in a variety of sets, or individually. Mine has 6-8-10-12-14, with stop collars and plug cutters - $90 - $100. Google "Fuller countersink".

Both sets have their pros and cons. I assume - but can't guarantee - that I have used the #14 at least once in 10+ years, and the #12 maybe 4 times per year. Doing it again, I'd buy the pieces rather than a set that includes these sizes, but that's me - don't know what you will be doing. If you got individual 6 & 8 bits, 6 & 8 countersinks, and the one plug cutter for that size, I'd guess that is 80%+ of what I use. Replacement bits & countersinks widely availabe.

Van Huskey
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Like Kieth I got tapered because it just made sense. The negative is replacement bits are more expensive and they are a little more fragile.

Economical, Snappy 6-8-10 tapered for a little less than $30 you can get the 5 piece set of straight for the same price but when will you use the 12 and 14.

The best I have used are the Fuller ones but unless you use them a lot I suggest the cheaper versions. However, you may want to look around since I have seen the 3 piece Fuller set (not in a wood case) for less than $40 on occasion, but didn't buy them since my Snappys were doing fine.

Jeff Nolan
01-13-2010, 1:39 PM
Tapered.

+1 on the Fuller set... it's not economical but it stands the test of time.

Dan Rude
01-13-2010, 3:09 PM
Try the new snappy set. These Snappy quick-change combination countersinks will drill the hole for the body of the screw, countersink for the head and counter bore for a plug. So far I'm very happy with these, I mihgt have to try out the taper sets my self though.

Augusto Orosco
01-13-2010, 3:16 PM
I just ordered some 'square drive' wood screws from McFeelys. They state in their catalog that a tapered bit is not needed for them because the shank of this screws is straight for the whole length (except for the point).

They also add that this is better because you don't run the risk of drilling to deep with a tapered bit, and ending up with a hole that is too wide.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how this pans out in practice: I am just regurgitating what their catalog says. The new screws should arrive in 2 days, and only then I will find out!

Myk Rian
01-13-2010, 3:45 PM
I was at a wood show last year and looked at several, similar sets. Settled on the Peachtree. A set of 7 for $20 list, got them for $17. The drills are tapered and were smoother, more finished than the others.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/drill_products.htm#924

Mike Cruz
01-13-2010, 11:33 PM
I like the tapered ones...

Brandon Weiss
01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
I was at a wood show last year and looked at several, similar sets. Settled on the Peachtree. A set of 7 for $20 list, got them for $17. The drills are tapered and were smoother, more finished than the others.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/drill_products.htm#924

Myk,
I have seen this type of drill bit in some of the tapered countersink sets. And your peachtree link interests me. How has the set worked out for you? Any problems with bit quality? Countersink sharpness still good?

Rick Lizek
01-14-2010, 6:09 AM

The best is purely subjective and a matter of opinion but I've been in the business for 35 years and all the better quality modern wood screws are straight. The only reason to use tapered is for using old style tapered screws for authentic reproduction and repairs.

One of the nice sets for field work is the Makita Quad System
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-Quad-Driver-Pre-Drill-Countersink-13-Piece/dp/B0000224F5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1262774328&sr=8-1
The Fuller J type countersink is one of the better ones out there as well...
http://www.wlfuller.com/html/type__j_.html
It grabs the countersink and not the pilot drill so is less apt to slip.

Rick Fisher
01-14-2010, 7:18 AM
I just bought a straight set from Makita.. 6, 8, 10.. Very nice quality.. I get the feeling they will last a very long time.. I hate cheap countersinks..

I have a DeWalt countersink set as well.. tapered.. the bits are way too long.. It is also a very nice set..

Myk Rian
01-14-2010, 8:48 AM
Myk,
I have seen this type of drill bit in some of the tapered countersink sets. And your peachtree link interests me. How has the set worked out for you? Any problems with bit quality? Countersink sharpness still good?
The set has performed great. The bits seem a little larger in diameter than some others, but have done the job.