PDA

View Full Version : The American Woodshop

Brandon Weiss
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Anybody else seen this show yet? I'm not sure where it came from, when it started, or who the guy is but I watched an episode last week and it seemed like pretty good stuff to me. Perhaps an attempt at a NYW replacement for PBS?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
He's been around for years.

Phillips IIRC is his last name. His first name escapes me. He resides and films it in Ohio someplace.

Brad Schafer
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Anybody else seen this show yet? I'm not sure where it came from, when it started, or who the guy is but I watched an episode last week and it seemed like pretty good stuff to me. Perhaps an attempt at a NYW replacement for PBS?

scott phillips is from just down the road - and been on public TV here for ... 15 ?? ... years. WBGU (Bowling Green OH) produces the show i think.

Dave Lehnert
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
He's been around for years.

Phillips IIRC is his last name. His first name escapes me. He resides and films it in Ohio someplace.

Scott Phillips is the host. His show has been on TV for a few years now.
He use to work for Shopsmith and his shop, where the show is filmed, is located just north of Dayton, Ohio along I-75. I have been told you can see it from the highway but not sure exactly where it is.

Brandon Weiss
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Apparently I have been uninformed! I think I'll continue to DVR this show like I used to do for NYW :(.

Hopefully this link is okay, Ken please let me know if it isn't:

http://wbgu.org/americanwoodshop/episodes.html

He's got 3 seasons of episodes available for viewing. Who needs to sleep on a Tuesday night anyways!

Mark Patoka
01-13-2010, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the link. I've always liked watching Scott but haven't seen him on my PBS for many years. Didn't realize he was still doing shows but he has done the Woodcraft circuit in the past.

Robby Tacheny
01-13-2010, 5:37 PM
I really like watching Scott Philips because I don't feel like he has a whiz-bang-tool for every operation. He keeps it basic and uses a seemingly "standard set of tools" to make all of his projects. Also, on his show he has done a few different bandsaw boxes from start to finish. I don't think I have seen them done on any other show.

I saw some promotional stuff he did for Woodcraft and also some interviews done with him and Norm Abrahms in one of the woodworking magazines.

He is one of my favorites to watch. We are lucky to have Norm, Scott Philips, Woodsmith Shop, and Roy Underhill all shown in my area.

-R

Myk Rian
01-13-2010, 6:35 PM
I noticed they use the same Delta and PC ads that NYW used.

Van Huskey
01-13-2010, 6:41 PM
My only issue with these are the speed that he goes through a entire process. Definately not a skill shop, 50 minutes to build a Queen Anne lowboy etc makes for a pretty sparse show. But, if you have all the basic skills he uses you get it quick and compact. For me the Legs on the QA lowboy were really interesting but a couple of things were not in my skill toolbox and thus just interesting to watch, but I would have had no way to go forward outside a lot of trial and error or using another resource.

keith ouellette
01-13-2010, 8:06 PM
Apparently I have been uninformed! I think I'll continue to DVR this show like I used to do for NYW :(.

Hopefully this link is okay, Ken please let me know if it isn't:

http://wbgu.org/americanwoodshop/episodes.html

He's got 3 seasons of episodes available for viewing. Who needs to sleep on a Tuesday night anyways!

super awesome terrific link. Thanks a bunch. I don't get that show in my area.