PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft section for workbench

Jamie Schmitz
01-12-2010, 9:38 PM
I am considering designing this for easy clean up on my bench top.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4269945185_5008225f2b_o.jpg

Prashun Patel
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Pretty snazzy. Not sure why it needs to be downdraft, though. You can just mount a big gulp style hood at the end of yr table. That'll save a little bench real estate. If you want to make that section a sanding station, that's a different story...

Mike Cruz
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
While I fully understood what you meant (without the picture), it was nice of you to include the drawing. BUT, where are your safety glasses and hearing protection!?!?!?!?!?!

I actually love the idea, and am sorry I didn't think of it. I may have to figure out a way to retrofit one of my bench areas to accomodate that. I do have a suggestion, though. If you can, you might want to have it in the middle of the bench (lengthwise, that is). Reason? Because if you are using this for clean up, you have half the distance to sweep the dust to it. Secondly, I would think it would get a lot more use as a sanding table if not up against a wall like that. How you have it drawn, it would only be comfortable to sand (with a ROS) your left hand. At least that is how I see it. Really love the idea, though... Boy, you have my brain working now...:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
OK, I just looked at your drawing again, and realized you don't have it up against a wall. Actually, even more reason to put it in the middle. Leave the dust chute where you have it, run the pipe under the table and come up from the bottom. That way, you have access from both sides of the table. If I didn't have drawers under my two tables (one 4 x 4 and one 2 x 12) I would certainly do this with one or both. I do have a 2 x 12 section for my miter saw that I could rig this idea into...no drawer in this one.

Jamie Schmitz
01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Okay so my original idea started when I wanted to think of a way to make the whole floor into a downdraft or at least multiple rows of say 10 inch grates. I thought if money was no object if one could actually design a floor that would allow for dust to be drawn into it and get sucked into the outside where the vacuum would be,along with the air compressor.
You know the comment about the vent in the middle is a good thought, all you would have to do is design in a cover for it when not in use. I wonder if you could make a cover that when you opened it the vacuum would start automatically, the way the in home vacs work, they auto start when the hose is attached.

Jim Rimmer
01-13-2010, 1:34 PM
I wonder if you could make a cover that when you opened it the vacuum would start automatically, the way the in home vacs work, they auto start when the hose is attached.
A switch like some contractors put on closet doors might work. When the door opens the closet light comes on (like a refrigerator). Just mount it horizontally and the cover turns it off; remove the cover and it comes on.

Mike Cruz
01-13-2010, 3:19 PM
Nice idea. Or like a contact mechanism that alarm companies use for your doors...

Brian Tymchak
01-13-2010, 4:51 PM
I wonder if you could make a cover that when you opened it the vacuum would start automatically, the way the in home vacs work, they auto start when the hose is attached.

Sure. JDS makes a system with blast gates that have a little switch that will turn on the DC through a low voltage wire. I have them on almost all my machines in my shop. Very convenient. Really like them. I also set one up above my bench with a 2 1/2" flex hose to use with the router, sanders, general cleanup.

Here's the starter kit on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/JDS-15000-Dust-Gate-Start-Up-110V/dp/B0006MQCR2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263418468&sr=8-9

There's also a 220V version.

You could transplant a switch from one of these blast gates and attach it inside your chute so that the cover would open/close the switch when you opened/closed the cover. There are only 2 little screws attaching the switch to the gate. Would be a very easy transplant. You could probably use double-sided tape in fact.

Mike Cruz
01-13-2010, 6:29 PM
Since you would probably need a blast gate anyway, I don't see a need to rerig it. Just get one of those automatic blast gates for your downdrafttabletable.

johnny means
01-15-2010, 2:33 PM
Seems to me you might as well brush the dust onto the floor, seeing as how you would have to sweep anyway.