PDA

View Full Version : Storage cabinet/extension wings for cabinet saw?

Rich Fletcher
01-12-2010, 7:42 PM
I used to have a Grizzly 1022, a basic contractor saw that I built a stand, cabinets, and extension wings for from the "Little Shop Mark II" (http://woodworkingnow.popularwoodworking.com/Article/Shop-Projects/September_1999-Little_Shop_That_Could) plans from Popular Woodworking. So the saw sat on a cabinet with storage, and there were storage cabinets under the extension wings on either side. Ostensibly a router on the right side, but I didn't get around to routing out the hole.

So I just picked up the Ridgid R4511 (for $300). It's a hybrid saw, with a nice mobile base on it already. It would certainly be a shame to not use the base it comes with, with its nice lift, etc. So I'm out the drawers immediately underneath the saw. I can live with that (barely--I don't have much room!) But I've gotta get some storage under the wings and hopefully a router under the right side.

What's my best option for keeping everything lined up and coplanar, but still using the storage space under the wings? Should I have a cabinet attached to the saw somehow, or something that just rolls under an open extension? Or rolls up to be an extension? But it seems like if you have long rails sticking out taking up room anyway, you might as well have something between them so something more permanent would be more advisable for those trying to save space.

Comments? Didn't know if this was more a workshop forum question or a tablesaw question. I don't see too much out there talking about this issue for hybrid or cabinet saws as opposed to contractor saws, but perhaps I'm missing something.