View Full Version : outboard tool rest?

Steve Vaughan
01-12-2010, 5:34 PM
hey all, I'd like to get an outboard tool rest for my NOVA DVR lathe, but really don't want to go with that kind of money. Has anyone here made one, and if so, is it working well? I've heard/seen online where some folks have made one using a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete around a 2" or so piece of pipe with the rest fitted onto the top. Any feedback on suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

charlie knighton
01-12-2010, 5:52 PM
well, how fast do you intend to run your lathe?????

you do not want the tool rest to be pulled into the form, i have the one made for jet/powermatic, it works

the first time you try using it, have off/on switch very close or someone else with their hand on the switch

Sid Matheny
01-12-2010, 7:54 PM
It really needs to be connected to the lathe for safty. There is a plan in the winter 2008 Issue of Woodturning Design that shows one made with pipe that I thought about making for my Nova DVR XP. Just haven't had the need for it yet.

Sid

Richard Madison
01-12-2010, 8:12 PM
Ditto what Sid said. Am no expert but have read many posts cautioning against freestanding tool rests. Most folks suggest having it bolted firmly to the lathe. Apparently nothing wrong with having a (movable) vertical post to the floor for support, but the rig should be also firmly connected to the lathe when in use. When turning inboard you tighten the banjo securely to the lathe bed. Same idea.

Denis Puland
01-12-2010, 8:22 PM
You need a much larger foot print then a pail.

I have a home built three legged one that weighs in at over one hundred pounds that is quite stable.

The primary construction is 2 inch solid shafting from my junk pile.
The distance between legs is in the neighborhood of 36 inches.

The three legged construction allows it to have a big and stable foot print and still allow you to slide it in close to the end of your lathe.

I have 20 inch swing over the ways on my lathe so I seldom have to use it.

Denis

Steve Vaughan
01-12-2010, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, and they're all exactly what I'd wondered about. I was thinking the 5 gallons of cements might be enough weight, but then, all it would take is one catch, just right, and there's gonna be a problem. Reading all the info got my mind thinking a bit more. Maybe fashioning a decent size pipe bolted to the end of the lathe stand (it's plenty solid), coming out and up 90 degrees, with 45 of some sort at the angle for stability. I'll keep a thinking about it definately toward the safe side. I had a 10" diameter/5" deep bowl blow up at 2500 rpm and that got my attention. Worse comes to worse I'll just save nickles and buy the thing when I need it. Thanks for letting me think out loud! sv

Chris Haas
01-12-2010, 9:32 PM
i had the nova 1624 with the outboard stand for $269. its a lot of cash.... but it is a solid outboard stand, very nice and usable. basically, it is worth the cash if you can save it up.

Mike Currier
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
hey all, I'd like to get an outboard tool rest for my NOVA DVR lathe, but really don't want to go with that kind of money. Has anyone here made one, and if so, is it working well? I've heard/seen online where some folks have made one using a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete around a 2" or so piece of pipe with the rest fitted onto the top. Any feedback on suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve, I just finished my own outboard toolrest for the DVR3000. I hope to get pictures up soon.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-13-2010, 1:27 AM
Steve I would not go for a loose standing toolpost, if you point he gouge up some the post will be pulled in towards the turning, now a bolted onto the lathe rest does work, have a look at the picture, it is a fairly simple setup and if properly fabricated that should be pretty sturdy HTH

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
I have the Nova DVR with the outboard turning stand that bolts to the end of the lathe. I think it would be the same one for the 1624. It is solid and worth every penny.

Matt Owen
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Steve,

I made my own using hot rolled steel. It cost me about $30 in material, but was a bit labor intensive. However, it works great. Follow the link for a few pictures.

Matt

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/mmowen78/General%20Woodworking/DVR%20XP%20Outrigger/

Bill Bolen
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Fine fabrication job Matt. I see why you say it was "labor intensive"! Looks as good as the one from Nova. Looking around your site that articulated hollower is a first rate bit of work too..Bill..

Steve Vaughan
01-13-2010, 4:30 PM
Thanks for the info, you've got me thinking. Mike, I'd love to see your pics. Matt, you done good there for sure. I'll definately be going with bolted to the lathe somehow variety of something. Thanks!