PDA

View Full Version : Can I see your Single gun case?

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2010, 4:26 PM
My FIL has a .22 cal. rifle that he treasures, although has never fired. I recently bought him a scope and fitted it for him. He smiled all day...(Suppose it was partly the wine too :rolleyes:.)

I think for father's day I'd like to make a gun case for him. Mostly for storage and transport. I figured I better get started now if I have any hope of meeting that deadline...

Please let me see'em if ya'; got'em... Thanks, Ken

Jeff Willard
01-12-2010, 5:11 PM
Wine and a .22 DON'T MIX! Skwerl guns only warrant beer. A thutty-thutty or .45-70 gets the little brown jug with the three X's. Wine is for people that have Purdey's and Perazzi's.

As luck would have it, I'm in the middle of making one right now. Whether the luck is good or bad, is for you to decide. I just opened it up this morning. Let me dig out a camera, and I'll be back.

Myk Rian
01-12-2010, 5:26 PM
I want to make one for my .35 lever action w/scope. Am looking for ideas.

Jay Jeffery
01-12-2010, 5:29 PM
My FIL has a .22 cal. rifle that he treasures, although has never fired. I recently bought him a scope and fitted it for him. He smiled all day...(Suppose it was partly the wine too :rolleyes:.)

It's a shame he can't site it in without firing it.

Myk Rian
01-12-2010, 5:39 PM
It's a shame he can't site it in without firing it.
Bore sighting.

Rick Moyer
01-12-2010, 6:05 PM

I think for father's day I'd like to make a gun case for him. Mostly for storage and transport. I figured I better get started now if I have any hope of meeting that deadline...

Please let me see'em if ya'; got'em... Thanks, Ken
Sounds like his enjoyment is looking at it rather than shooting it so I would suggest glass on three sides:).

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2010, 6:52 PM
I think Rick hit the nail with a sledge hammer. Eddie likes to look at it more than shoot it. It's a Marlin 81TS with the composite stock, bolt action, tube feed. You can get them all day for $200.00. With scope $250.00.

BTW - He's had it for 9 years and never shot it, go figure. :rolleyes:

Jeff Willard
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Ken,
Here's a couple of pics of the work in progress, and a few of the details.

This is actually my first experiment with veneering more than anything else. The case is Honduras Mahogany. I used shop sawn ash as the primary veneer on the panels, and tulip poplar as the secondary. The case is hand dovetailed. I was going to use a lock miter for the joints but decided a little hand work practice was in order-and I need it. I just now installed the hinges, as I don't think I'm going to put any finish on it other than wax. I used Soss hinges since I want it to stand flat when I set it down.

Here is where things went wrong:

When I opened the box up, I did it on the bandsaw. When I did, I allowed the upper part of the case to waver, creating an irregularity in the edge. As a result, I had to send both pieces through the planer. This worked out okay, but I lost about 3/8" of inside depth. I had originally intended this for a bolt action rifle, but don't have the space now. I guess one of the lever guns will go into it now. Also as a result of this, I have to look for other handle options. I bought a leather chest handle for it, but no longer have the necessary width to attach it. Looks like I'm now stuck with a cheesy plastic case handle.

The veneering actually went better than the box itself. The leaves are about 8" wide, and I avoided any gaps save for a couple of very minor ones at the outside edges. I think the veneer may have moved on me, as I jointed them all at the same time, but glued them to the substrate two at a time, over a period of a couple of weeks. All of the inner joints are tight.

I have 1 1/2" convoluted foam to line the case with, and brass draw catches to close it with. Just haven't gotten that far yet.

And for those with an interest, top to bottom:

Winchester 1892 .38-40 1915

Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum

Marlin 1895G .45-70

And no scopes-that would be like putting a backpack on a ballerina :D.

Ray Newman
01-13-2010, 12:22 AM
See cal-Graf design at:
http://www.cal-graf.com/

Scroll down to and click on at "the wagon box".

TIMO, the problem with wood range/rifle boxes is that are heavy and should be constructed from a a good hardwood. I would aslo use "mechanical joinery" -- dovetails -- in case of glue failure.

Don Morris
01-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Ken,

There was a post just a couple days ago on gun cabinets. I replied but in the meantime did a little digging because I made a statement about liability I was not sure about. Sure enough another builder of them made reference to liability too. I copied his remarks about building a gun cabinet as I thought they were close to what I would do if I were to build a wooden one. I went the other way and now have a keyed metal one. But must admit, I miss the look of my wooden one. For what it's worth...here is what I found:

Materials
Choose heavy, dense woods like oak for building the cabinet. Use bolts, or sink screws and putty over the holes, when assembling the outer frame so that an enterprising teenager cannot disassemble the cabinet with a screwdriver. Glass fronts are elegant but consider a steel cage over the inside of the glass to reduce the risk of a smash-and-grab.

If you are working with metal, ensure that the underlying frame is of a heavier stock--like iron or steel--and has solid welds. Make sure that a metal cabinet, if kept in a warm or sunlit area, has some ventilation (http://www.ehow.com/way_5438420_diy-gun-cabinet.html#) or insulation to reduce the risk of heat damage to your ammunition or flammables.Hinges and Locks
Solid hinges (http://www.ehow.com/way_5438420_diy-gun-cabinet.html#) will last longer and prove more resistant to tampering especially if reverse hinges are mounted on the inside of the cabinet door so that the door cannot be removed with a screwdriver. A heavy-duty lock with a complex key or combination will keep the cabinet secure from tampering. Call a certified locksmith to help you select the right locking mechanism. Make sure that the lock's bolts are sunk deeply so that the door cannot be opened by brute force, shattering the wood or bending the metal were the bolts belong.Liability
Because guns are dangerous, courts have found that a homeowner has a duty to properly and safely secure weapons within the home. To improve safety, consider putting smaller, locked drawers inside the cabinet to store ammunition or trigger-lock keys. Also, putting a steel-cable lock to thread the weapons together and into the case is a prudent precaution; thread heavy-duty eye screws to the sides of the cabinet for the cable to connect.

Ken Shoemaker
01-13-2010, 7:39 AM
Jeff,
I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you get the dimensions? Also, I need to put some sort of foam inside. Did you already have a sorce for foam?

Thanks to everyone who replyed.... Ken

Jeff Willard
01-13-2010, 9:07 AM
Ken,

I based the dimensions on the firearms themselves and my materials. I used masonite as the substrate for the veneer, and since the masonite is 48" wide, I based it on that. I also used commercially manufactured cases as a guideline. The gun that this was originally intended for is a scoped rifle, so I needed about a 10" width to accommodate it. The foam I purchased comes in a set (matched top and bottom) that measures 31 x 49-1/2 x 1-1/2, so I have enough for three of these. I intend to make a number of these (hopefully improving along the way), so I want them to be dimensionally uniform. My finished dimensions are 48-3/4 x 11-1/2 x 3-1/8. This should handle most firearms except the longest barreled shotguns, or a Mosin-Nagant :eek:.

My source for the foam is Cameron Packaging (www.cameronpackaging.com (http://www.cameronpackaging.com)), but I have since run across other suppliers. Honestly, this foam may be a little light for my purposes, as I have a few heavier mil-surps that I want boxes for. It is available in varying densities and thicknesses. For a lighter rimfire rifle though, I think it is probably sufficient. The foam I bought was about $20+ shipping, but as I said there are other suppliers. Search "convoluted foam" or "convoluted foam inserts".

Jeremy Treibs
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I do not have any experience in makeing boxex for long rifles, so this is just a joke... but you can buy a Pelican waterproof rifle container and wood veneer it... ;)

Ken Shoemaker
01-13-2010, 1:08 PM
Jeremy,

Already did that twice....:p

John Downey
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
One of these days I need to make cases for a couple of my rifles, I'm planning to do French fitted contour blocks covered with cotton batting and then some wool felt a friend gave me. Pelican and the like are nice, but you have to be careful about condensation with a case that seals that tight. I also understand that long term storage in foam can lead to condensation and rust problems as well.

I'd like to do leather on the outside, but I've never done much leather work.

Jeff Willard
01-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Ken,

The finished product.

Ken Shoemaker
01-23-2010, 9:49 AM
That is a beautiful design!! That's just what I was thinking about.

Now listen to this. I was gone to the Upper Penisula of Michigan since Saturday snowmobiling. I got home and Eddie (FIL) called me to come over for coffee. He proudly showed me his new gun case that he got at the Plano outlet store.... :cool:

I think I'll make one anyway because I has focused so much attention on it.... If it happens, I'll let you know.

Ken

Tony Shea
01-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Jeff, that came out nice. Thanks for the inspiration for a new project. And man, love the guns you got there. That Winchester is absolutely beautiful. Came close to snatching one similar a few weeks back but just couldn't talk the price down to my liking. I'm still on the hunt though. I really like the moon style butt stock of those old Winchesters, it really stands out and is so recognisable to that gun.

I find it interesting that so many woodworkers that I know also have a passion for firearms. Locally I know of a few woodworkers and absolutely all of them share a passion for the shooting sports. I have been an avid reloader for a long time before this woodworking hobby and consider it my first love. I just love the precision that is involved in both hobbies as it goes hand and hand with my perfectionist character flaw.

Thanks for the inspiration Jeff.

Jeff Willard
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd love to have a companion for the Winnie in .44-40 (remember The Rifleman ?), but sadly, prolly couldn't afford it if I found one. The only reason I have this one is because it was left to me by a shooting buddy that recently passed on. I Blue Booked it at about $1100.

I'm about ready to start another case. Here's a shot of the veneer I just sliced for the panels.