PDA

View Full Version : The Plan Is Coming Together

Chuck Fischer
10-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Ok guys, this is the two initial concepts I came up with, she likes the first one so the second one (which needs work) is out, but its my modern interpretation of the mission style nightstand. What do you guys think of them? They are designed to hold DVD movies. The drawers are 6 inches high in the design, but they might need to be a tad larger because I didn't think about the drawer bottoms... I'll solidify the exact dimensions later. I'm thinking rift sawn white oak with a breadboard top.

http://www.chazmonro.com/assets/nightstand1.gif
http://www.chazmonro.com/assets/nightstand2.gif

thanks for looking,
Chuck

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Chuck,

I like the first one as well. Remember, on the bottoms of the drawers, leave 1/4" material, make a 1/4" dado for the plywood bottom. In other words, 1/2" up from the bottom of the drawer sides will be the top side of the drawer bottom. Confused yet? :confused: :D I think this design would look great out of Cherry with Walnut accents. Nice Design.!!

Pat Monahan
10-17-2004, 1:54 AM
Chuck
Given the two options, I would go with the top design. Both designs are fine, but I think the top one is more traditional in appearance. Just one point - does either design match or come close to matching the other furniture in the room? If not, is there any way to echo the curves or details of existing furniture in your design to help make your piece blend in a bit with the other furniture? I'm not trying to be "artsy", but I hate it when it looks like some of the tv decorator types have run amok resulting in a room where nothing matches in style or scale and the colours appear to be varying shades of bug vomit. :eek: :D Guess you know what i think of the Martha Stewart Types! :D My rant for the day, and two cents worth.
Pat

Jim Becker
10-17-2004, 9:58 AM
I like them both. The first is great if you want the more traditional Mission look using a single species of wood, such as QS White Oak or Cherry. The second would be wonderful using contrasting materials, such as ebonized material, alumium and highly figured stock for the top and drawer fronts. I suggest you make number one for LOYL, since she likes it the best, but consider making a set of the second version to show or sell. I suspect they will be a hit in the studio furniture culture!

Mike Cutler
10-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Chuck. I actually like the second concept best of the two. But that's just me. As to the first I would make the following suggestions. I would use QSWO instead of rift sawn, this is more traditional. I would increase the size of the top and allow for more overhang all around and would use 1" thick material and not breadboard it. Once again it would be QSWO. If you come up blank on traditional Mission or A&C hardware, check out www.crowncityhardware.com. for the drawer pulls.

Edit.Keith or Aaron. I didn't realize that the" crown city hardware"would appear as a hyperlink. If this violated the rules, I apologize, and feel free to remove it.

Chuck Fischer
10-17-2004, 2:22 PM
Hey guys, I was flipping through a craftsman style furniture book I got from the library and they had a picture of a dining table, you know exactly the style, the big rectangle. Anyway, instead of using the traditional quarter sawn oak, they used curly maple... I know what you’re thinking, but it blew my mind... so much so that I am considering using curly maple for this project... I'm sure you guys will disagree with me, but my wife likes light woods and Though I like the mission/craftsman/prairie style furniture I have a desire to be different, thus the second design.

First off, am I a nut, and second, where can I find curly maple? I know it’s not a regularly stocked item at most places. Is it a luck of the draw, maybe I have to go to several places and sift through all their maple to find the curly stuff, or do most places set it aside, and as soon as any comes in, its usually gone?

Chuck

Kelly C. Hanna
10-17-2004, 2:53 PM
I like them both, but would opt for #1. Are the dowels going to be contrasting wood?

Jim Becker
10-17-2004, 3:32 PM
Chuck, curly wood is something that does not appear in quantities. If your local places don't stock it, consider ordering from someplace that does...like Curly Woods in McKinney TX. Mike Mastin is an SMC member, too, and has some pretty incredible wood available "all the time"...he specializes in it. Talk to Donnie Raines, too...he often has it available and is in Ohio. 'Might be worth a little field trip. And if you do see figured stock in your local places, buy it when they have it. While that means putting out a little cash, worst case you can always sell it for at least what you paid for it. Since lumber is a unique thing, I've found it to be a good practice to get the good stuff when you can and put it in "inventory"...the right project will come along and with the prices escalating like anything else, you will not lose money in the long term.

BTW, I think those tables will look outstanding in highly figured maple...