PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some picture frame help

Mike Palmowski
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
hello, I have been spending the last few hours looking for different ideas for frame profiles and was wondering if anyone had a link that shows what simple cuts to use to make some of the more complex profiles?

Also Where do you guyss buy the glass for your picture frames? Can I order it online somewhere for less then the local hardware store wants? Thank you for any help you might be able to provide

Dave Gaul
01-12-2010, 1:35 PM
I haven't made a ton of picture frames, but I have made several. I use a bosch face molding router bit for the profile (a little pricey, ~$50), then a rabbet bit for the back for the picture and glass to set in.

I have purchased the glass from craft stores, precut to the size I need, but they only go up to 8.5 X 11" I think.

If you google "making picture frames" the first few results will show you some examples on how to do your own, with or without a face moulding bit..

Paul Atkins
01-12-2010, 3:18 PM
I get glass at the glass store. There are 5 of them in town. Another place would be the frame shops or art store.

Lee Schierer
01-12-2010, 4:17 PM
I get glass at the glass store. There are 5 of them in town. Another place would be the frame shops or art store.

I buy from a local glass place as well. Better prices than the hardware stores. Take your frame with you and have them measure and cut to fit. Depending upon the skill and attention of the cutter, the dimensions can vary +/- 1/16" and they use their tape measures which may vary from yours in regard to accuracy. They can also do edge finishing if you have an exposed edge on a piece of glass.

Chris Padilla
01-12-2010, 4:32 PM
Don't rule out molding (crown or otherwise) as a way to make a picture frame. Also, no one says you need to have mitered corners either. I made a simple frame (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42603) using MDF molding from the borg and put a different 'top' on it.

Jay Jeffery
01-12-2010, 4:58 PM
Don't rule out molding (crown or otherwise) as a way to make a picture frame. Also, no one says you need to have mitered corners either. I made a simple frame (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42603) using MDF molding from the borg and put a different 'top' on it.

Nice frame. That's the way to do it. If you are just going to make a frame with 45 degree miters, a common pattern, and common wood species like a mass-produced frame, why bother making it yourself?

A little creativity with some standard router bits and a router table can make for some nice looking moldings. It you make a tapered or rounded side you can distinguish your work from what the local frame shop or importer makes by the thousands. A bearing guided bit can follow some nice profiles, too.

The first profile I tied was a 1/2" rad round over on each side and 1/4" rad round nose flute on each side spaced so that there are 3 even flats. It is simple, elegant and I've found nothing I like better.

As for glass, you can cannibalize it from old frames. Cutting a custom size can set it apart, but is not always practical.

To make your frame dramatic, make sure that the sides are wide and that there is plenty of matting. Carefully chose your colors of matting and wood stain/paint to make what you are framing come alive.

Tom Adger
01-13-2010, 8:30 AM
I am in the middle of making my first picture frame. It sure is a learning process. My first mistake was using off the shelf 2x4's from the BORG. Even though they had dried for a long time, after jointing/planing and cutting to size, there was wood movement, especially where there were knots. Next time I intend to use maybe poplar or maple, and make sure it is quarter sawn or rift sawn.

As for glass, My local Lowes sells a number of precut sizes, 1/8" thick. The 24x30 is around $12. They will also cut the glass to your size free. The BORG down the street will not.

I used some roundover and core bits to make a profile. I would also suggest you look at the MLCS website. They have some bits which are for picture frames.

Matt Day
01-13-2010, 8:41 AM
I've probably made a dozen or so frames, and have used different router bits for the profile or just left it sqaure on the front and rabbitted the back for the glass. I think I got a couple of the profiles from Eagle America.

I have the cheap mat cutting kit I got from a craft store, and also bought the glass cutting tool. I always buy larger pieces of glass and cut my own glass, and mats for that matter :).

I also use splines at the 45 - much stronger joint and since I usually use a different species of wood it adds a nice visual touch.

For the frames I make for us, our style has generally been simple maple frames with walnut splines. Classy and modern at the same time I think, and doesn't distract from the photo or artwork.

Mike Palmowski
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to take a ride to Lowes and see what they have for glass.

Im still looking for one of those charts that show you what bits to combine for complex profiles...

Jerome Hanby
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Someone on SMC recommended this book Making Picture Frames In Wood (Home Craftsman Series) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806975423/ref=ox_ya_oh_product)

Best I recall, it has those combinations laid out.

A good while back, Peach-tree had one of their Internet sales on a set of Picture Frame Bits. Looks very similar to the Freud set but less than half the price. Wish I'd pulled the trigger on them.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to take a ride to Lowes and see what they have for glass.

Im still looking for one of those charts that show you what bits to combine for complex profiles...

Karl Card
01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
You may check out lee valley also. They have a couple of tools i want on there for clamping and joining the corners. Just a thought.