PDA

View Full Version : wood gloat - a little one

Betsy Yocum
10-16-2004, 11:15 PM
I was talking with my Dad's former neighbor about spalted wood - and lucky me - he gave me a piece of spalted hickory (it has a finish on it already) and a piece of spalted something - he was not sure and niether am I. The hickory is gorgeous - need to think for a while how to use it.

Thanks for looking
Betsy

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Very nice pieces Betsy.!!!! Great find. Now...if those pieces are large enough and thick enough, why not make a couple of small gift boxes? Sure would be pretty.!! :D

Betsy Yocum
10-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Very nice pieces Betsy.!!!! Great find. Now...if those pieces are large enough and thick enough, why not make a couple of small gift boxes? Sure would be pretty.!! :DDennis - the hickory piece is about 5" across at the widest point. It's an even 7/8" thick. I'm thinking along the box idea line myself. I really would like to keep the natural edge (it seems solidly attached) as a "handle". My line of thinking right now is to resaw it into 2 pieces cut one piece into a rectangular piece for a slab type lid. The second piece I'd like to keep triangular and make a 3 sided box with a pivot hinge. But those are just tentative ideas for now. If you have any other ideas - I'm all ears.

Thanks
Betsy

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2004, 7:25 AM
Dennis - the hickory piece is about 5" across at the widest point. It's an even 7/8" thick. I'm thinking along the box idea line myself. I really would like to keep the natural edge (it seems solidly attached) as a "handle". My line of thinking right now is to resaw it into 2 pieces cut one piece into a rectangular piece for a slab type lid. The second piece I'd like to keep triangular and make a 3 sided box with a pivot hinge. But those are just tentative ideas for now. If you have any other ideas - I'm all ears.

Thanks
Betsy

Betsy,

I really like the idea of the natural edge as the handle/front of the box. See if you can find some 4/4 hickory...just enough to make 4 sides and use the resawn piece of what you have now for the bottom and lid....and distress the 4/4 hickory slightly to match up the natural edge. I think it would be gorgeous!!!!! ;) :D

Betsy Yocum
10-17-2004, 9:37 AM
Dennis - that's a great idea! The picture of the edge does not do it justice - it really is neat. I think using it on the top and bottom would be great. I'll have to dig through my scraps and see if I can find some small hickory and so what I can make of it.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the idea!:)
Betsy