PDA

View Full Version : Ornament Globe - Tutorial ***NOW WITH PICTURES YOU CAN REALLY SEE***

steven carter
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
SORRY FOR THE EARLIER POST , I'VE NOW HAD A TUTORIAL FOR MY TUTORIAL BY THE FABULOUS MR. SCHLUMPF. - THANKS STEVE!

My sister visited me from Canton Georgia, and after seeing one of my pierced ornaments, said she had to have one, and after getting hers, she decided she wanted 7 more to give as gifts next christmas. I made the first 6 and decided to do a tutorial on the last one. Here are the first three. From left to right, maple/ebonized maple, ash/walnut, and walnut/maple.

Next three are ash/black & white ebony, walnut/sycamore sap wood, and sycamore/ash.

The tutorial begins with making a sphere with a piece of walnut. The sphere is about 2 1/4" in diameter. Notice that I leave the rear portion of the sphere at about 1" in thickness. This is to support the stress of the hollowing and reduce the chances of it breaking off

Next, after adding and burning a couple of accent lines, I drill a 5/8" hole with a forstner bit.

Here I am blowing out the chips from inside the globe. I usually do this about 4 or 5 times on a globe this size. By the way I took the picture myself as I blew it out. How about that for multi tasking? I usually hollow at 500-800 rpms, it seems that the tool works best for me at this speed.

steven carter
01-12-2010, 2:48 PM
This is my hollowing tool, a Sorby Micro Hollwing Set. The set comes with 3 tools, a drilling tool, this bent hollowing tool and a finishing tool. So far I have only use the bent tool. Also seen are a diamond sharpener, and the plastic tube I use to blow out the chips. Be sure to draw a good breath before entering the tip into the globe. DAMHIKT

I use these double ended calipers to measure the wall thickness. I usually leave the wall at about 1/4" thick for the piercing. You can make it thinner and the piercing is a lot easier, but I prefer the wall a little thicker so I can vary the angle when I pierce, and also I do not always completely clear the holw when piercing. I feel this gives more depth and interest in the piercing. YMMV

Here I have finished the rear, or what will be the bottom of the globe. The diameter has been reduced to less than the size of the forstner bit.

Here I have used the forstner bit to part the globe frm the stock.

A close up view of the gollowed globe.

steven carter
01-12-2010, 2:57 PM
This is a picture after I used a 5/32" drill bit to drill random holes in the globe.

This is a picture of the bit I use in my rotary tool to do the piercing.

The globe is now pierced. I'ts time for some finial work.

Just to show that things don't always go as planned. The last ornament for my sister was going to be out of cherry.

I guess I got carried away, I was just about to take my first measurement before blowing up. I've made 15 of these things before the first blow up. I hope I will remember this and measure sooner in the future.

Thanks for looking, I hope this tutorial will help someone who is thinking of making an ornament of this type (or at the very least not deter anyone). If you don't want the piercing, you can go directly to the finials after the hollowing.

Steve

John Keeton
01-12-2010, 3:06 PM
Excellent pictorial!! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and post with expanations. Nice work - even the one that "got away!"

Scott Hackler
01-12-2010, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the post, Steven. Who says ornament tutorials cant be posted in January!! I like the idea of drilling holes for the start of the piercing process. I will try that with my next pierced ornament.

I need one of those micro hollowers, my full size Hollowmaster is way to big!

Jim Slovik
01-12-2010, 4:00 PM
Excellent post. I will definitely give this a try.
Jim

Brian Effinger
01-12-2010, 4:43 PM
Great tutorial. I'll have to try the "parting off with drill bit trick". It might be a little while for the piercing, though. My insides aren't quite uniform in thickness. I am working on it though.

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2010, 5:05 PM
Nice work on the tutorial Steve! Always fun to see how others do things!

Jim Underwood
01-12-2010, 5:24 PM
Just to show that things don't always go as planned. The last ornament for my sister was going to be out of cherry.

I guess I got carried away, I was just about to take my first measurement before blowing up. I've made 15 of these things before the first blow up. I hope I will remember this and measure sooner in the future.

Measure?!!!! We don't need no stinkin' measure! Guys are supposed to like blowing stuff up! ;):p

Seriously though, I appreciate you posting this tutorial. I learned a bit from it and will incorporate the "parting off with the Forstner bit" part of it for sure... I realized that if you carefully calculate the depth of the Forstner bit before hollowing, that you have then set your depth stop for hollowing.... I usually drill too far, and then have no idea where to stop when hollowing. This will save me from making the back wall 1/32 thick before I stop....:eek:

Steve Mawson
01-12-2010, 6:53 PM
Steven,
Very very nice and the tutorial is welcomed as well. Just gives me something else to add to the list. These will make great gifts for next Christmas. I have bookmarked this thread. Thanks for putting together.

Baxter Smith
01-12-2010, 7:52 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I see lots of beautiful things here but have no clue to how they were done! This one now seems possible!

Jerry Rhoads
01-13-2010, 7:48 AM
Great tutorial Steve. I have often thought about redrilling to part off. But have not done it. I think I should give it a try.

Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2010, 9:58 AM
Nice work and great tutorial. Thanks for sharing Steven.

Mike Wenman
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Great tutorial. I'll have to try the "parting off with drill bit trick". It might be a little while for the piercing, though. My insides aren't quite uniform in thickness. I am working on it though.

Yes, a very nice tutorial indeed. I just need to make some time now to get busy using this new 3520 I got... turned 1 small finger bowl from maple and before I could even get any finish on it and buff it up, my sister took it home with her.
---------------------------------------

Brian...

One thing that could be considered with the thickness and the piercings would be to hollow to where you think you might be close to desired wall thickness, go ahead and pierce then you could continue to hollow to desired wall thickness. you would be able to see through your piercings and gauge where you needed to adjust :)

-----------------------------------------
Not intended to hijack this tutorial, just a different perspective in this case for hollowing to uniform thickness.

Mike

Tom Giacomo
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks, great pictures and information.

ROY DICK
01-14-2010, 8:02 AM
Standing ovation.:)

Roy