PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Table Project

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd like to thank all the guys in the Finishing Forum( http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72227 ) who helped with advise on how to finish this piece. Jim Becker was kind enough to trade PM's about the specifics of using a finish ( Waterlox) I have never tried before. I now have a new GO TO finish. Thanks to all you guys....

Your honest thoughts would be greatly appreciated ( good or bad)... Ken

Chris McGee
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
love the figure on the top and the interesting intersection of the legs with the aprons! Great piece!

Peter Aeschliman
01-12-2010, 12:43 PM
The top is easily the best part of this project. Just beautiful.

Can you take a pic of the underside? I'm really curious about how the legs attach to the aprons.

Well done!

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2010, 1:36 PM
The apron is mitered and reinforced with biscuts. The legs are morticed and the apron is slipped down into them. I undercut the mortices so as not to get squeez-out. I felt the need to glue the daylights out of it and it seemed to work well. I also put temporary spreaders at the bottom of the feet to keep them in proper posion during glue-up.

Thanks again for looking.... Ken

John Keeton
01-12-2010, 2:48 PM
Nice work - and a gorgeous top!! The Waterlox served you well on this piece.

Thomas Pender
01-12-2010, 8:47 PM
In its simplicity. It looks like it belongs in a museum. I especially like how you joined the legs to the table.

David Christopher
01-12-2010, 8:55 PM
Ken, that table is beautiful..and the finish looks great..

gary Zimmel
01-12-2010, 9:12 PM
It's hard to find something wrong when one really likes the piece Ken.

That top has fantastic figure! And thanks for the extra pics on the leg joinery.