PDA

View Full Version : Sending Digital Photos out to be printed

Craig D Peltier
01-12-2010, 9:35 AM
Any reccomendations where to send my digital files too, Im thinking about pics size of 16x20s. Want pro quality.
One guy mentioned a place back east, but he said if you sent the file incorrectly , thats the way they printed i.e. If you asked for 16x20 but your file was set for 15x19 they would print it with a 1 inch white border.

Im not sure if thats standard or not.I have never sent out.

I think Ritz camera . com has a lab.

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I am good friends with one of our states top photographers. I can ask him about it and see if it's something you want to check out.

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I have sent him a text message. We'll see what he says in a bit. ;)

Scott Shepherd
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Adorama does some excellent work. You can submit them all online as well. You have complete control over it. You can have them printed as is or having a technician make adjustments. Your call on that.

One thing I love about them is about 3 or 4 times a year, they will run specials where you can get large prints for a fraction of the normal cost, no limitations. You can get large photos for $3.99 or 4.99, or things like 8" x 10" for .99 cents. I haven't kept up with them recently, but I used to use them a fair amount and their quality was always outstanding. They make Ritz look like monkeys.

Go to adorama dot com and click on the adoramapix tab at the top.

Pat Germain
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Many independent camera shops print digital pictures. They cost more than drug stores and Target, for example. But they tend to maintain their equipment much better. (ie changing chemicals and making adjustments more often.) The results are very good. Some shops can do large prints.

So, you might check a local camera store. It's nice to deal with people directly and face-to-face in such situations rather then via Internet and snail mail.

Brian Effinger
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Many independent camera shops print digital pictures. They cost more than drug stores and Target, for example. But they tend to maintain their equipment much better. (ie changing chemicals and making adjustments more often.) The results are very good. Some shops can do large prints.

So, you might check a local camera store. It's nice to deal with people directly and face-to-face in such situations rather then via Internet and snail mail.
Pat has the right idea, at least for something like you want to do. That way you can go in and actually talk to someone about it, and make sure you get exactly what you expect. I have only sent out photos for 4x6 printing - Walgreens, CVS & York.

Michael Roberts
01-12-2010, 1:30 PM
I've had great luck with MPix. I've used them for a quite a few prints up to 16" x 24" and they look superb. Better quality paper and prints than my local "professional" lab at a fraction of the cost.

Brian Effinger
01-12-2010, 2:05 PM
One other thought, Craig. You might want to PM Brian Brown. I believe he is a professional photographer.

James Rambo
01-12-2010, 5:33 PM
My DIL uses snapfish for her digital prints and they come out great. she has them put into folder form and sent to others like great grandma in california. I checked their web site and they do make large prints, and poster size copies.

Tim Morton
01-12-2010, 6:12 PM
But they tend to maintain their equipment much better. (ie changing chemicals and making adjustments more often.)

Do they still make prints using chemicals???:cool:

(Sorry i had too....i make prints for a living...and its been 15 years or so since i have mixed chemicals....)

Eric Franklin
01-12-2010, 8:41 PM
I would second Adorama. They will do retouching you like and there prices are very good.

Anthony Scira
01-12-2010, 8:53 PM
I am partial to Smugmug.

Great service and decent prices.

http://smugmug.com

Dave Lehnert
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM

(Sorry i had too....i make prints for a living...and its been 15 years or so since i have mixed chemicals....)

Yes, but not much.
The Kodak repair tech that comes in to repair our digital printers say that the 35mm units are left unused for so long that when they are used the chemicals has the unit all gummed up.

Matt Stiegler
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Adorama is a good choice. Would not recommend Ritz. I tried zazzle.com for photo calendars this year and they were fantastic quality and great prices. I'd try them in a heartbeat for prints.

Dan Bundy
01-13-2010, 9:04 AM
Another vote for Adorama. DB

Steve Rozmiarek
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
I am partial to Smugmug.

Great service and decent prices.

http://smugmug.com

+1 on Smugmug.

Rob Young
01-13-2010, 2:23 PM

Yes you can still have RA4 and Cibachrome prints made as well as B&W prints on RC and fiber paper. Buying the chemicals is still relatively easy and the enlargers and support equipment can be had for a song if you want to do it yourself again.

Oh and don't forget these guys: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/
The last processor Kodachrome on Earth!

And there is a very active "alt" community keeping VanDyke, Platinum/Pladium, Argotype, wet plate and just about every other non-traditional process alive.

Rob Young
01-13-2010, 2:25 PM
Any reccomendations where to send my digital files too, Im thinking about pics size of 16x20s. Want pro quality.
One guy mentioned a place back east, but he said if you sent the file incorrectly , thats the way they printed i.e. If you asked for 16x20 but your file was set for 15x19 they would print it with a 1 inch white border.

Im not sure if thats standard or not.I have never sent out.

I think Ritz camera . com has a lab.

Thanks

MPIX (http://www.mpix.com/)

Read their instructions and if in doubt, call/email them to better understand how to size your files and apply color profiles.

Bryan Morgan
01-13-2010, 4:48 PM
If the place uses large format inkjet printers make sure they use pigment or archival inks or your prints will fade. If you can find a place that uses a LightJet or similar machine (uses lasers to expose photo paper...it must still be chemically processed) you will get actual high quality photo paper.

I used to work for a company that does this. ;)