PDA

View Full Version : Anant Vise quick release slipping

Dave Right
01-12-2010, 9:19 AM
I bought a quick release Anant Vise several years ago and it would slip when tightened. I tried to make several adjustments to correct it but did not help then recently I saw several posts commenting on the same problem. So I got the vise back out and tried to make those changes with no luck. I decided to take off the quick release part and replace it with Acme nuts matching the screw on the vise. That is my problem. I ordered Acme nuts 7/8 x 6 RH. They start to go on the thread but stopped with 1/4 turn. Anyone know what the correct nut size would be?
Thanks
dave

george wilson
01-12-2010, 9:53 AM
Gentlemen,you MUST stop buying stuff made in India. There is no telling what nut will work.I'd have to examine the actual vise. It may have something special,like a metric thread,or a unique thread form. The form of the thread may be incorrect for a quick release vise. Mine has a buttress thread. The side that does the locking needs to either be perfectly vertical,or even a bit hollow so the nut won't release.

If I had the vise,and had to use it,I'd make another vise screw for it. You can buy threaded acme screw rod,but unless you have a metal lathe,you couldn't turn the ends down where needed.