PDA

View Full Version : Delta Midi/and other midis - let's see your stand!

John Keeton
01-12-2010, 7:59 AM
I have reviewed all the prior threads for pics of lathe stands, including the Sticky on SMC turners and their equipment. And, there are some great ideas.

But, with the recent flurry of new Delta Midi owners, there have to be some new innovative ideas on stands - other than the factory stand.

I would love to see what you have done with yours!

Have you incorporated casters? Your grinding station? Tool storage? Ballast? Handy chisel/gouge storage?

Bob Haverstock
01-12-2010, 8:37 AM
John,

This should be a very interesting thread. I have yet to build a stand for my JWL 1220.

What I'm thinking about is a plywood stand with a tipout bin to hold my chisels and gouges vertically. The rack in the bin would hold PVC pipe that keep the tools seperated. The bin would be self-closing and open bottomed.

The stand would have a movable light mounted on it. The steadyrest, chucks and faceplates would hang on the ends of the stand.

I really hope that someone has a better idea.

Bob

Keith Outten
01-12-2010, 8:55 AM
Lots of good ideas in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15619&highlight=hydraulic+table

John Terefenko
01-12-2010, 8:57 AM
No stand just sits on a cabinet I built years ago. It is only a midi so doesn't take up much room. It is in the background if you can make it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/Copyofshop3.jpg

Mark Patoka
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's an old thread that shows various setups, including what I use for my Jet mini.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26808

Jim Underwood
01-12-2010, 1:14 PM
I use a little plywood stand (http://www.classiccitywoodturners.com/BuyandSell.html) that I copied off of Don Russell's design.

Brian Effinger
01-12-2010, 2:27 PM
Here is mine John.

The plans came from Shopnotes (I think), but I made it longer and took out the adjustable shelf. It is made from MDF, 2x4's and pegboard. I plan to add two banks of drawers in the future. I also made the bottom shelf as a ballast box with sand in it. The grinder had been bolted directly to it, but I ended up making a plywood base and just setting it on the table. The lathe is bolted to the table.

I am not sure this is going to be the lathe's permanent home, though. It worked fine for the Jet mini I had, but this lathe is a few inches taller so the stand may be too tall now. I just finished reading Ellsworth's new book, and he suggests that the lathe should be much lower for hollowing. For now this will do.

I also plan on taking a close look at what everyone else has posted, because there are some good ideas there. Really good ideas.

I hope I helped, instead of confused. I know I'm confused. :)

Brian

John Keeton
01-12-2010, 2:58 PM
So far, we are getting a good collection of ideas. Brian, I want to be able to change heights with my stand, as well.

I anticipate doing spindle work on flatwork projects, as well as other projects. It would seem that having the spindle center a little lower for spindle work would be easier because of the tool angle vs. holding a bowl gouge at the 45/45/45.

Haven't done any hollowing yet - I don't think?? I take it that hollowing is a term used for hollow forms. That would seem to also require a lower spindle height.

I also would like the ability to move my lathe if needed. It's permanent location will be where my "drop down" assembly table is. When I need to access that table, I will need to move the lathe. I want to work on a simple system to provide that mobility.

And, it would be nice to incorporate a tool holder similar to the one made by Dan Forman and others -
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020287.jpg

Lot to think about, and I would like to do this right (as much as possible) the first time!

Keep those ideas and pics comin'!!!!

John Keeton
01-12-2010, 3:02 PM
Brian, looked again at your pic. How much weight is in the box, and do you think it is necessary? There were several comments in prior threads questioning the need for ballast with the Delta. Seems like it would help, to me.

Brian Effinger
01-12-2010, 4:38 PM
I am not sure the sand is absolutely necessary, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I used an old tube sand tube from my truck (the sun and weather break them down, so I usually have to replace a couple every year). I just measured the box the sand is in and it works out to roughly 1/2 of a cubic foot which would be 50# of sand (100# per cu. ft.).

Also, the table itself has some weight to it. The top is 60" x 18" made of 2 layers of 3/4" so I am thinking it weighs 35 or 40 pounds.

As for mobility, I might add 2 fixed casters to the side of the base at one end. They would be off of the floor when the table is sitting there, but if I need to move it, I'll raise the other end and engage the casters.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Okay John.....

Here's a photo of the infamous "diving board". I may the only one stupid or brave enough to turn on this. Certainly wasn't intelligent to photograph and display it here but....I was new to turning then....

Seriously....I wouldn't recommend this for anyone!

John Keeton
01-13-2010, 6:30 AM
Okay John.....

Here's a photo of the infamous "diving board". I may the only one stupid or brave enough to turn on this. Certainly wasn't intelligent to photograph and display it here but....I was new to turning then....

Seriously....I wouldn't recommend this for anyone!LOL, LOL, LOL!!!:p

Ken, I had seen this pic, and several references to it in my research!! For my part, it was going to remain a part of your past life - not to be disclosed again publicly!!!;) But, since you brought it up...... not many turners can lay claim to a "catwalk" lathe stand!

Nice lighting, though!:D

Brian, I saw a couple of pics that had the two casters on the end legs. That is in my plan, but I would like to come up with an easier way to engage those wheels than lifting and carrying the other end. Perhaps a drop down caster that could be engaged and withdrawn after moving the lathe.

Also, I ordered the bed extension, and I would like to put my grinder/Wolverine setup on the end of the stand, as well as mount that tool holder somewhere.

The important consideration at this point is to do all of this and avoid a 10' long stand!!!:eek:

John Keeton
01-13-2010, 8:08 AM
Bob Haverstock just PMd me with some thoughts on mounting the grinder on the lathe stand. I thought they were good enough to be shared - hope he doesn't mind!

Bob felt the extra weight on the stand would be nice, but mounting the grinder on the headstock end it could interfere with a vacuum chuck lines. If mounted on the tailstock end, it could be in the way of a hollowing setup.

He was also concerned about grinding grit "mothered" into the bed of the lathe and "there is alot to be said about not have sparks around fine wood dust."

All good comments, and reason enough for me to abandon that part of my plan.

Gary Herrmann
01-13-2010, 8:26 AM
I think I got the original idea from a shopnotes plan. Altered to suit my setup. I guess this was about 3.5 - 4 years ago.

John Grounds
01-13-2010, 9:41 AM
Bob felt the extra weight on the stand would be nice, but mounting the grinder on the headstock end it could interfere with a vacuum chuck lines.

All good comments, and reason enough for me to abandon that part of my plan.

That may be a factor but positionining of the grinder along with vac adapter design may make it workable.

John

alex carey
01-13-2010, 5:14 PM
here is my old lathe. Bolted it to this big ol piece of wood which I then bolted to this table. It was pretty dang sturdy.

Wally Dickerman
01-13-2010, 7:22 PM
I don't have a mini but I've taught a lot of classes on them at Woodcraft. In seeing all of the benches used as stands I'm curious as to why none of them are mounted near the tailstock end of the bench. If you do HF's with a hand held tool, that's where you need to stand so that you face the piece when hollowing.

Anybody do HF's on their mini?

Wally

John Keeton
01-13-2010, 7:58 PM
In seeing all of the benches used as stands I'm curious as to why none of them are mounted near the tailstock end of the bench. Wally, I don't know much about this turning thing yet, and I am not sure I understand the question? Could you perhaps elaborate? Are you saying the lathe should be mounted toward the right hand end of the stand/bench? Thanks.

Bob Haverstock
01-13-2010, 8:23 PM
Wally, I don't know much about this turning thing yet, and I am not sure I understand the question? Could you perhaps elaborate? Are you saying the lathe should be mounted toward the right hand end of the stand/bench? Thanks.

John,

I like doing hollow forms and pots on my midi lathe. My hook tools are 30 or so inches in overall length. I spend alot of time at the rear of the lathe, sometimes at the rear and on the backside of the lathe. It is nice not having the base extending out into my way. At the moment, my lathe is clamped to a folding work station. The platform is close to the size foot print of the lathe. The end of my hook tool extends beyond the tailstock end of the bed, this is very convenient.

John, you might consider keeping the HF for spindle work and set up your new machine for short work, life might be simpler. Remember that thing about my opinion.

Bob
Bob

John Keeton
01-13-2010, 8:34 PM
Bob, too late!! The HF was sold this morning. I really do not have the room (or want to give up the room!) to keep both lathes. I got the bed extension for the Delta so I can do furniture legs. I realize it would be nice to have two lathes, but weighed against the space requirements, I couldn't justify that.

Makes sense on the orientation of the lathe on the base. I had planned on putting a tool holder at the right hand end, and that may still work if I put it out to the side.

Sounds like the bed extension will be in the way for doing much in the way of hollowing - I will just have to adapt!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2010, 8:35 PM
I don't have a mini but I've taught a lot of classes on them at Woodcraft. In seeing all of the benches used as stands I'm curious as to why none of them are mounted near the tailstock end of the bench. If you do HF's with a hand held tool, that's where you need to stand so that you face the piece when hollowing.

Anybody do HF's on their mini?

Wally

Wally,

I did HFs on my Jet VS mini....but I use a Jamieson captured tool so it wasn't a big thing.

Dave Halter
01-13-2010, 8:39 PM
I was thinking one of the recent WWing magazines had plans for a mini lathe cart that folded up for traveling. It was designed by someone that did demos. Looked like a good plan with storage and such, but I can't remember which magazine it was in.

Dave

Donny Lawson
01-13-2010, 8:57 PM
I just came in and saw this thread but I will post some pics tomorrow night of my Delta Midi with stand and my whole pen turning room.I have one room dedicated to my pens. It's a 12x24 complete with Delta 46-460 lathe,sharpening station,drill press,12"bandsaw,14" re-saw bandsaw.There is a little more work needed but I'm slowly working on that.I still need more turning tools but that will also come with time.
Donny

Wally Dickerman
01-13-2010, 9:20 PM
Wally, I don't know much about this turning thing yet, and I am not sure I understand the question? Could you perhaps elaborate? Are you saying the lathe should be mounted toward the right hand end of the stand/bench? Thanks.

John, if you are hollowing a hollowform vessel using a hand held tool (I use a Stewart hook tool), you need to stand facing the opening of the piece. To do this you must be at the end of a shortbed lathe such as a mini lathe. The tailstock has been removed, of course.

In my own shop I hollow HF's on the outboard bed of my Oneway. It's also a great way to hollow open bowls. Much better than leaning over the bed of the lathe.

Wally

Ray Bell
01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Here is my lathe stand. It actually started out to be a utility trailer. The base is heavy duty 2"x3" steel tubing. The up rights and overhead are 1.5"x1.5" steel tubing. It is very heavy, but on casters that allow me to move it out of the way for cleaning. For the last couple of years it has housed my Ridgid lathe, but tomorrow my Nova DVR will be delivered. Hah a tool gloat thrown in !

Disclaimer: The stand was designed by my brother-inlaw, and built by me with the help of a welder friend.

Joe Aliperti
01-15-2010, 1:34 PM
I bought the hardware for the ShopNotes plan. Just need to find a local source for high quality MDF.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/plansnow/mini-lathe-closer1.jpg

Donny Lawson
01-18-2010, 9:39 PM
This is a pic of my two lathes and my stand for my Delta.
Donny

William Payer
01-20-2010, 6:18 PM
Idea from a Shop Notes plan.