PDA

View Full Version : Table saw belt stretch

Tim Sero
01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Hello,
I'm a new member.
I have a delta 36-980 table saw new a months ago, I like it very much. I have it in my garage and live in a cold climate. It has been 15- 20 degrees here. The belt has tension by just the motor hanging on the bracket and gravity. I was using the saw and the belt seemed to stretch allowing the motor to hang all the way down. Causing the belt to bind and almost stopping the blade before I turned it off.
Is this happening from the cold causing the belt to stretch??

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2010, 7:55 AM
I'm not sure about the cold hosing your belt, but I will say, a great investment is a link belt to make the saw run smoother. I dont think ther ius a need to change to those expensive machined pullys as the belt will work wonders. (It made all the difference in my Delta Contractors saw.)

BTW- If the linkbelt were to stretch, simply remove a link until your happy with the performance.

Ken

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Hello,
I'm a new member.
I have a delta 36-980 table saw new a months ago, I like it very much. I have it in my garage and live in a cold climate. It has been 15- 20 degrees here. The belt has tension by just the motor hanging on the bracket and gravity. I was using the saw and the belt seemed to stretch allowing the motor to hang all the way down. Causing the belt to bind and almost stopping the blade before I turned it off.
Is this happening from the cold causing the belt to stretch??

Hi Tim, no it isn't due to cold.

It sounds like it's either the wrong belt, or the motor isn't installed far enough back on the bracket.

Check your belt length or part number, and installation.

Regards, Rod.