PDA

View Full Version : WOOD Jewelry Box Caution!

Bob Winkler
01-11-2010, 9:39 PM
For those like me who are building or are planning to build the maple/cherry jewelry box in Issue 195 DEC/JAN issue of WOOD, be aware that I just discovered a mistake that has me quite annoyed.

The carcass box sides are 6 3/4 " deep and are built first. The drawers are shown on a separate drawing and are listed as 6 13/16" deep. That what I made them, and of course they stick out of the carcass by 1/16". They should be shallower than the carcass since the drawer front should make contact first.

Now that the drawers are already built, it will be hard to remove 1/16" from maple by sanding. They are only 1/4" thick to start with and I would probably trash them by machine planing. I'm afraid hand planing would break them because of the stresses. Maybe I'll get the stupid belt sander out.

Be forewarned.

Bob

Wayne Hendrix
01-11-2010, 9:43 PM
Thanks I am planning on making that box and I would not have caught that either.

Jimmy Williams
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
The carcass box sides are 6 3/4 " deep and are built first. The drawers are shown on a separate drawing and are listed as 6 13/16" deep. That what I made them, and of course they stick out of the carcass by 1/16". They should be shallower than the carcass since the drawer front should make contact first.

Bob

Bob, I just pulled my Wood magazine out to see what you were talking about and see that the runners for the drawers are labeled at 6 3/4". The sides are actually 7". The way they have this drawn is a bit confusing and I see where you would have made that mistake. The 7" measurement is at the bottom of the right side panel.
Wish I could help with a way to correct it for you.

Prashun Patel
01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Bob-
I made that box. I believe the dimensions are correct. Look back at Figure 1. It's the drawer runners that are 6 3/4" long. The carcass is actually 7" deep.

The drawers actually need to be shorter than the carcass side so's not to ram into the back of the drawer.

I would say at this point it's easier to make shorter drawers than it is to make a new carcass...

Ed Sallee
01-12-2010, 5:59 AM
I've ran in to that problem before. What I've done, was to just set my saw's fence to the dimension I need, set the blade to the height of the drawer and trim off what needs to be trimmed..... works well for me.

Bob Winkler
01-12-2010, 7:33 AM
I just checked it again and even though the sides are 7" deep, the plans call for a 1/4" deep rabbet for the back recess. That makes the front to back dimension 6 3/4", which is too small.

Bob