PDA

View Full Version : Electrical wiring goof

Bill Fitch
01-11-2010, 7:33 PM
OK, I did something pretty stupid. I was drilling holes in my garage (outside wall) for my new 240V circuits, but I drilled them too close to existing holes. My electrical inspector told me there is no real hole spacing requirement, and as far as electrical code is concerned, he is right. But I think I violated the building code.

Question, is there a way to repair this situation without replacing the entire stud? I think about some dowel glued in the new holes and sawed flush.

Any help is appreciated.

Bill

George Bregar
01-11-2010, 7:51 PM
I'll let others chime in as I'm not expert but I believe you should be okay with two as long as your holes are aligned vertically. You can always sister a stud rather than replace or dowel plug.

Wayne Hendrix
01-11-2010, 9:35 PM
How big are the holes?

Bill Fitch
01-11-2010, 9:59 PM
The holes I drilled are 7/8", same as the existing holes. There is a little over 1 inch between holes.

How big a mess am I in?

Brian Effinger
01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
You should be fine, Bill. According to the code, the holes can be no more than 40% of the width of the stud (1-3/8" for a 2x4), and there is no restriction on how close they are. That is from the International Building Code, which most states have adopted.

If the holes are lined up vertically, you have, in effect, made a truss so there should be no worries there. There are ways to repair the stud, if you are really concerned, but they would be pretty involved, and probably not worth the hassle.

Brian
(an architect in NY)

Lee Schierer
01-12-2010, 7:59 AM
Is it a load bearing stud? If so and you are worried about it, then sister one next to it. If it is in a non-load bearing wall don't worry about it.

Bill Fitch
01-12-2010, 9:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I think my next step will be just run the wire in these holes and call for my inspection. Worst case, I have to fix it, but best case is I'm done! If it turns out worst case, I will post this information.

David Helm
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
As long as the holes are vertically oriented you have no problem. The load the stud carries is primarily vertical, and if it is at a gable end it's negligible.

Bill Fitch
01-12-2010, 3:04 PM
Brian,
I have heard there is a 2 inch spacing between holes. Can you confirm this is not in the IBC? I have only seen it in reference to local codes so can't be sure where it comes from. If you have any chance to print the exact portion of the IBC, that would be very helpful, too. I don't know where to go about obtaining the code.

Thanks,
Bill

Brian Effinger
01-12-2010, 4:13 PM
Brian,
I have heard there is a 2 inch spacing between holes. Can you confirm this is not in the IBC? I have only seen it in reference to local codes so can't be sure where it comes from. If you have any chance to print the exact portion of the IBC, that would be very helpful, too. I don't know where to go about obtaining the code.

Thanks,
Bill

I am using New York's version of the IBC, which in this case they are identical (it is the residential code). I believe Washington uses the same code although the city of Seattle may have some amendments.

Now, there is nothing in the code that talks about how far the holes have to be spaced - Only the size of the holes. The link below is for the section (NYS) on drilling and notching of wood studs.
http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/ny/st/b400v07/st_ny_st_b400v07_6_sec002_par010.htm?bu=NY-P-2007-000013

The next link is the table that is referenced in the drilling section. It is some general guidelines for the installation of electrical wiring. For your purposes, you'd be interested in the fifth column, labeled "NM" for non-metallic sheathed cable.
http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/ny/st/b400v07/st_ny_st_b400v07_37_sec002_par002.htm?bu=NY-P-2007-000013

You should be fine here, especially if the electrical inspector OK'd it. If you still have some doubts, go to you building department and speak with the building inspector. They will have the code books there and should be able to answer any questions. Oh, and one more tip - bring photos of the studs to the building dept. so the inspector can see exactly what is going on.

Brian

George Bregar
01-12-2010, 4:14 PM
Brian,

Thanks,
Bill Call your local building inspector. As many have said, it most likely is not an issue. No one here can tell you what local codes are.

Bill Fitch
01-12-2010, 4:49 PM
Brian,
Thank you so much. This all jives now with what the electrical inspector said. I was pretty specific in asking him about requirements for hole to hole spacing, and he said there really was no requirement other than the 1.25" from the edge or need for a nail plate. I think I worked myself up over nothing.

Bill

David Helm
01-12-2010, 9:53 PM
It is the IRC and it has been adopted by most jurisdictions around the country. I really don't believe you have a problem. A quick note about me; I was a builder/remodeler for 30 years,have been a licensed home inspector for 5, and teach structural issues in the local Technical College.

Brian Effinger
01-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Brian,
Thank you so much. This all jives now with what the electrical inspector said. I was pretty specific in asking him about requirements for hole to hole spacing, and he said there really was no requirement other than the 1.25" from the edge or need for a nail plate. I think I worked myself up over nothing.

Bill
No problem. That's what the creek and all of it's members are here for. :)

Aaron Wingert
01-25-2010, 4:55 PM
I agree, this is not a problem. If you centered your hole and it is that small, vertical proximity to other holes is a non-issue in the I-codes. If someone were to drill an excessive amount of holes on top of each other in close proximity the "workmanlike manner" portion of the code could technically be called if the inspector feels that the stud has been structurally compromised.

I enforce building codes for a living and can assure you that what you're describing wouldn't cause me to give a second look.