PDA

View Full Version : What are your recommended bandsaw blades?

Victor Robinson
01-11-2010, 6:23 PM
The new Grizzly 0555 + riser block will be here Thursday! I won't have a chance to set it up for another week or so, but I was hoping you guys could recommend your favorite bandsaw blades for various operations?

I'm honestly at a loss given the various thicknesses and styles of blades.

I've heard great things about the Woodslicer (Highland?) blades for resawing. And it sounds like the Laguna blades are the cream of the crop in general. Not sure if I can afford the best right off the bat, so I'm looking for value.

I'd like to start with a good general purpose blade (ripping and less-than-intricate cuts) and a resawing blade.

Raymond Fries
01-11-2010, 6:49 PM
... Timber Wolf blades and have been very happy with them.

Good Luck choosing what is best for your applications.

Van Huskey
01-11-2010, 8:31 PM
To general to give too many specific other than to agree Timber Wolf makes an excellent blade at a resonable price.

Now for resawing, unless you want a carbide tipped big money blade like the Laguna's you mentioned go to highlandwoodworking.com and get a Wood Slicer for resawing, excellent at a VERY resonable price.

Give some more specifics about what you want to do and you will get better answers, there is just not a fully universal BS blade compared to say the pretty universal 40T WWII and P410 for the table saw.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2010, 8:36 PM
Get your Timberwolf's here. http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/contact.asp
Thet have a buy 3 get one free offer. Great people...

Victor Robinson
01-11-2010, 8:39 PM
Thanks VH.

Let's see - as far as specifics go I'm looking for two blades.
1) Resaw blade - woods I use are mostly mahogany, walnut, maple, and a few exotics. Would be resawing 4-8" boards.

2) General purpose ripping. For now, no table saw. So the bandsaw is how I will be ripping narrow boards (say 3-12" wide) - same woods as above, also including ply and MDF.

I was looking at the Timberwolf chart (@ Suffolk) and it seems like many blades will fit my uses. I wasn't sure how to choose the TPI or the tooth style. As mentioned above, these would be used on a 1HP bandsaw, so I'm sure that affects the choices as well.

Paul Ryan
01-11-2010, 8:57 PM
The best resaw blade I have used so far on that exact same saw has been the Laguna sheer force 5/8". They are a good price for excpetional performance. Not the hundreds of dollars for the carbide blades laguna also sells. I have used the timberwolf blades and was not nearly as happy with those as I have been with the laguna.

Van Huskey
01-11-2010, 9:03 PM
For Resawing get the woodslicer I mention above.

For ripping get the widest blade your saw will handle, for most hardwood ripping I use a 6TPI PC, for thicker than 8/4 I use a 4TPI PC, note that if you plan on cutting ply you will need more teath and a different profile say a 10TPI Raker to get a nice cut.

Myk Rian
01-11-2010, 9:31 PM
I've used many Olsen blades from Woodcraft.
Timberwolf for resawing.

Victor Robinson
01-11-2010, 9:48 PM
Thanks guys. Myk, do you think the Olsons would be any better than the 3/8" x 6TPI that comes with the riser block?

Van Huskey
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys. Myk, do you think the Olsons would be any better than the 3/8" x 6TPI that comes with the riser block?

I'll reply also. I have never seen a good stock blade in ANY saw whether it cost $100 or $3000. The Olsons are fine entry level blades but the Timber Wolf blades are better and more economical in the end for me anyway since they stay sharp twice as long.

Myk Rian
01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes. I haven't had good luck with any stock blade.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Two things:

What comes with the riser block (I can speak only for what came with the Grizzly riser block) was junk. Cut OK at best and dulled VERY fast.

and

If you go with Suffolk, the people there are VERY helpful, and are more than willing (and knowledgable) to pick the right blades for your purposes.

Myk Rian
01-12-2010, 9:10 AM
Nothing came with my Delta riser.

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2010, 9:22 AM
I purchase my blades from my local saw supplier.

They have a wide assortment of blade stock, in a couple of material choices.

I let them know what size blade I want, and they weld it up for me.

Far more cost effective than buying pre-made blades.

I use a 3/4" wide 3 TPI for heavy ripping or resawing.

I have 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" blades for curve cutting.

Many smaller saws cannot tension larger blades, so I suggest you start with a 1/2" wide coarse blade, and a 1/4" wide blade in the 6 to 8 TPI range and see what you think.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Cruz
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Rod, that is exactly what I just ordered for my two BS's. For my 18" Grizzly (resawing only) I got two @ 1/2" 3 tpi, and for my 14" Ridgid, I got two @ 1/4" 6 tpi.

Kent A Bathurst
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I purchase my blades from my local saw supplier.

Rod - Does that happen to be BC Saw? Have read good things about them. If it is not BC - what can you tell me about BC?

Thanks

Kent