PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP question: How do I turn off the automatic update?

Bob Weisner
10-16-2004, 7:26 PM
Hi:

For the past week my computer has been trying to automaticley download the new windows XP service pack 2 update. Well, I have a dial up internet and its been slow downloading! :confused: All 3 times, after the download is finished, I get a download has failed response, pop up on the screen. Does anyone know how to turn off the automatic updates for Windows XP?

Thanks,

Bob

Jim Becker
10-16-2004, 8:07 PM
When you get the notification for SP2, uncheck the box and hit "Cancel"...it should then ask you if you want to "cancel" that update. Then you can order a free CDROM from MS for SP2 and apply it offline. I did that even though I'm on high-speed just to have the disk available should I need to rebuild at a later date. (My upgrade went smooth as silk on Thursday and took about 40 minutes total)

Bob Weisner
10-16-2004, 8:14 PM
Jim:

Thanks for the reply. I was able to turn it off by clicking the control panel and followed the directions on the microsoft website. I think I will order the disk from Microsoft.

Thanks,

Bob

Jim Becker
10-16-2004, 8:18 PM
Bob, I don't necessarily recommend you turn off Windows Updates totally...just kill the SP2 download and get the CDROM since it's over 200mb in size. The only real way to keep up with all the nasties "hands off" is to use the feature. At least you know when something is available that way, even if you choose to download it manually at a different time.

Bob Weisner
10-16-2004, 8:35 PM
Jim:

I should have mentioned that there was 2 or 3 options that I had to chose from when I was in that part of the computer. What I picked was the turn off the "automatic download updates". I clicked on the next option below that where it said that I would be notified of any new updates and that I could chose which updates to download.

Thanks,

Bob

Don Abele
10-16-2004, 8:36 PM
Bob, as Jim said, turning off automatic updates totally is not the best course of action. Since you know where it's at on the control panel now, I'd recommend you go back and select the "Notify me but don't download or install them" option. This will at least let you know they are there and you can check them out and be sure that they aren't so large as to tie up your dialup. EDIT: Bob, you posted your follow-up while I was typing this.

As for SP2, it's a monster of an update, mainly security updates. Be sure to read the narrative of it so you know what to expect. It automatically enables things like automatic updates (full download) and the MS firewall which you may want to change.

Be well,

Doc

Bob Weisner
10-16-2004, 8:46 PM
Don:

Thanks for the reply. My computer was really slowing down when the update was trying to download.

Thanks,

Bob.

Ray Dockrey
10-21-2004, 6:09 PM
I don't know if they still have them, but I was in Circuit City about two weeks ago and they had SP2 on cd for free. The cd was in Microsoft packaging so this is something Microsoft is doing. I don't know if anybody else has them or not. I guess Microsoft is trying to get them out to everybody.