PDA

View Full Version : So what should I turn my new homemade "blank tools" into? Any thoughts?

Joshua Dinerstein
01-11-2010, 4:28 PM
So what kind of things have you guys found useful?

I got some shop time this last Saturday! So I turned two tool handles out of some very slightly spalted maple that I had laying around. Each tool handle is almost exactly 12" in length with a piece of copper water pipe as a ferrule.

Into each of these handles I have mounted a 3/8th inch thick 5" long HSS tool bit from use-enco. They look good, feel comfortable in the hand and should work great!

I got that done, I actually made three but was finishing the 3rd one when I realized it was too spalted. I realized it when about half of the back of the handle came off in one large chunk. That was not what I was hoping for but it was a learning experience to be sure.

Well I got to this point and then realized I was no longer sure what kind of tool to turn these 2 "blanks" into.

When I bought the steel over 2 years ago I was planning for things like:
1- A round skew.
2- A skewchigouge.
3- A detail gouge.
4- A bowl gouge.

I was going to try and cut/grind my own flutes etc...

In the intervening time I have purchased a PSI bowl gouge that I really like, though I want a Thompson 1/2" V gouge pretty badly. I have learned to use my skew chisels very nicely. Just this last week I purchased a Pro-PM detail gouge from CSUSA.

So I got ready to start shaping them and I realized that I was no longer entirely sure what I wanted to make out of them. I was at a good stopping point anyway so I just stopped there.

But now that I will have some more time soon I thought I would ask which kinds of tools you guys and gals have found the most useful. I also have some 1/4" and some 1/2" HSS tool blanks. I would like to try and make something useful so if you have a suggestion let me know!

Joshua

P.S. Sorry for no pics. My cell phone is a great camera to start with but it used to work. Today it crashes every time I try to grab an image. I will post some later.

gary butcher
01-11-2010, 5:07 PM
Hmm, I think I'd be tempted to try for a shear scraper by flattening one of the end corners and tapering the opposite corner away to get a similar tool to the sorby

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001G9VF80/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi

Richard Madison
01-11-2010, 6:38 PM
Maybe a bedan?

Dennis Ford
01-11-2010, 7:03 PM
A round skew will be the least trouble to make and 3/8" is just the right size for small work.
IMHO bowl gouges are more trouble to make than they are worth, better to just buy what you want there. A detail gouge would be a good choice, most commercial ones have much longer shafts but the short shaft will be an advantage on a lot of jobs.

Ryan Baker
01-11-2010, 7:35 PM
- Cindy Drozda's "vortex" tool
- round skew
- round nose scraper

David E Keller
01-11-2010, 8:12 PM
I'd probably make a bedan tool if it's square or rectangular stock

Joshua Dinerstein
01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
These tools are make from round stock. So a bedan is out.

I think I will go with a round skew for one and a detail gouge type thing on the other. I have 2 more pieces of these hss steel tool bits just in case I need to try again or want to make something else.

I was thinking about a skewchigouge as well. What the heck. Time to make some fun stuff! :)

Joshua

Dan Forman
01-12-2010, 2:47 AM
How about a three point aka pyramid tool?

Here are a few tools I made for doing ornaments. the One on the right is a 1/4" skew, the middle is a bent hex key, which I put another bend in after this picture was taken so that the cutting tip was brought back to center. The one on the left is handy for undercutting end grain, such as the underside of mushroom caps. The top is ground flat, and the nose done in the Wolverine varigrind, just like a bowl gouge. I'm going to make a three point tool with the 3/8" bit that I have.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020393.jpg

Dan

Greg Just
01-12-2010, 7:00 AM
I would suggest checking out Alan Lacers website for making hook tools.

Norm Zax
01-12-2010, 7:18 AM
My first DIY tool was an Oland. You'll need a hard insert, such as 5%Cobalt HSS (from Enco?). Then I made a swan necked Oland. Check it out, also in www.aroundthewoods.com

Joshua Dinerstein
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
How about a three point aka pyramid tool?

Here are a few tools I made for doing ornaments. the One on the right is a 1/4" skew, the middle is a bent hex key, which I put another bend in after this picture was taken so that the cutting tip was brought back to center. The one on the left is handy for undercutting end grain, such as the underside of mushroom caps. The top is ground flat, and the nose done in the Wolverine varigrind, just like a bowl gouge. I'm going to make a three point tool with the 3/8" bit that I have.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020393.jpg

Dan
Hi Dan,

I have made one of the allen wrench hollowing tools. I have been meaning to put a second bend into it. I had my wrist wrenched pretty hard the last time I used it. I got a catch and it grabbed and POW. Thanks for the reminder to do so!

The 2 tools on the left and right edges are kind of the ones I was thinking about making. I have some 1/4" tool steel as well. Do you find that the 1/4" skew has enough... I am not sure how to put it... mass? Cutting edge? etc... to be useful? I am tempted to keep making tools and make some in each size. :)

A 3 point tool. I have seen a video with John Berkeley on threading and he used on to great effect. I will add one of those to my list.

Thanks Again Dan,
Joshua

Michael Mills
01-12-2010, 3:55 PM
I also have some steel after I attended a "tool making" workshop at my club about a year ago. I never procrastinate.
One thing brought up for the three-point tool is to use brass fittings for the ferrule rather than the smooth (round) copper. With the flats on the fitting, it is all ready to set on your grinder guide. Grind and rotate two positions, grind, …it automatically positions the three points rather than guessing at them by hand.
Maybe I will work on mine this weekend.
Mike

Ryan Baker
01-12-2010, 7:59 PM
I would suggest checking out Alan Lacers website for making hook tools.

That's a good thing to do, but not with HSS. You need some drill rod that you can shape, harden and temper. You can't do that [at home] with HSS.

Joshua Dinerstein
01-12-2010, 8:40 PM
One thing brought up for the three-point tool is to use brass fittings for the ferrule rather than the smooth (round) copper. With the flats on the fitting, it is all ready to set on your grinder guide. Grind and rotate two positions, grind, …it automatically positions the three points rather than guessing at them by hand.

Yeah that is where I got some of mine. :)

That is a great idea. Thanks for passing it along! I will give it a try. I found some brass compression nuts 3 in a bag for $3 I think. Sounds like a great way to get it shaped and then sharpen it later.

Thanks,
Joshua

Greg Just
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
That's a good thing to do, but not with HSS. You need some drill rod that you can shape, harden and temper. You can't do that [at home] with HSS.

you are correct

Curt Fuller
01-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Joshua, you may have already done this but if not you need to attend a meeting of the Utah Woodturners http://www.utahwoodturners.org/ and look up Joe Wagner. He knows more about making tools than anyone I've ever met.