PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Gauge versus Tight Mark

Jim Koepke
01-11-2010, 3:25 PM
In considering a new marking gauges, it comes down to being between the Tight Mark from Glenn Drake or the Veritas Wheel Marking gauge.

Any opinions about the differences between these two?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

jim

Sean Hughto
01-11-2010, 3:31 PM
I have both. And they both work well. I like my Titemarks a bit better as they seem to stay sharp longer and just generally cut a little better, but for the price difference .... that perception of better performance and handling might be kind of a thin reed.

mike holden
01-11-2010, 4:02 PM
Jim,
I also have both, and since I got my tite-mark, the LV sits. I have both LVs, and would not recommend the adjustable one, very awkward to use; the standard one works nicely. The tite-mark just works well, and feels good. Well worth the extra dinero.
That is my opinion,
Mike

Tri Hoang
01-11-2010, 4:19 PM
I had both at one time but I always pick up the tite-mark. The micro adjustment on the tite-mark works well. The LV adjustment is not as smooth. I ended up selling the LV gauge. It's like the difference between a LN and an old Stanley. Ultimately the choice is yours.

Gary Benson
01-11-2010, 4:19 PM
Jim,
I have owned both and find the tite-mark much easier to adjust, especially with one hand. I sold my LV and bought a second tite-mark.
Gary

Mike Henderson
01-11-2010, 4:35 PM
If you are going to use the gauge for dovetails, especially half blind, it's nice to have two - one for the thickness of the material and one for the depth of the half blind.

Maybe buy one of each and then sell the one you don't like and buy one more of the one you like - and let us know which one you liked.

I have the LV and am satisfied but I've never used the titemark.

Mike

David Keller NC
01-11-2010, 4:43 PM
In considering a new marking gauges, it comes down to being between the Tight Mark from Glenn Drake or the Veritas Wheel Marking gauge.

Any opinions about the differences between these two?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

jim

I've used the L-V adjustable gauge, and I own the Tite-Mark standard. If you intend on using the gauge with accessories, then the Tite-Mark is the only way to go - you can get slitting blades, fixed-width mortise blades, adjustable width mortise blades, and even convert the gauge to a more than passable panel gauge with the addition of the extension rods.

I have a strong appreciation for high precision and quality in tools, and the Tite-Mark is, in my opinion, a very inexpensive piece of incredible machining quality - there is no play that I can detect in the threads on mine, and the grip checkering is just right (not too sharp, but still very grippy).

I suspect there's a reason that you don't often see these for sale - no one wants to sell theirs.

Mark Roderick
01-11-2010, 4:58 PM
I have both. For years I owned only the LV, then bought the Tite-Mark. Now I use only the Tite-Mark. It's one of those things where you'd probably be happy with the LV as long as you never tried the Tite-Mark, but once you try the Tite-Mark you say "Wow, I didn't know a marking gauge could be that good!"

Robert LaPlaca
01-11-2010, 5:26 PM
Geez thanks guys, I only have two LV's and for some reason I can see a Tite-Mark in my future

Jim Koepke
01-11-2010, 6:07 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I guess this means I should keep an eye on the SMC classifieds for a used LV marking gauge or two?:)

jim

Don Dorn
01-11-2010, 8:08 PM
Perhaps I'm not using it correctly, but I have the LV and don't care for it. Thinking it must be the blade, I tried sharpening to no avail so I bought another blade when making an order. I still don't care for it. I think it's the only LV item I have that I have no use for.

That said - I bought thier little 3 in 1 brass marking gauge and put the blade on it - it's great and I use it most of the time. I also bought LVs new mini-marker (more curious than anything) and it cuts much better than the standard wheel gauge. I actually find it handy for hinges because you can mark both depth and witdth with a single gauge.

Larry Fox
01-11-2010, 8:15 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I guess this means I should keep an eye on the SMC classifieds for a used LV marking gauge or two?:)

jim

I have one that I will sell you (or anyone else for that matter), shoot a PM if you are interested.

David Gendron
01-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I have two of the LV, and the Tite-Mark will be comming my way prety soon... I think from what I read here and there that it is just a better tool!

Mark Casper
01-12-2010, 9:12 AM
I have both. For years I owned only the LV, then bought the Tite-Mark. Now I use only the Tite-Mark. It's one of those things where you'd probably be happy with the LV as long as you never tried the Tite-Mark, but once you try the Tite-Mark you say "Wow, I didn't know a marking gauge could be that good!"

+1. I have both, and those are exactly my feelings. Amazing quality and well worth the money.

Chris Friesen
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I have the Tite-Mark, the LV with micro-adjust, the small brass 3-in-1, and the newest LV stainless one. Can't have too many marking gauges. I find the LV awkward to use with one hand, though perfectly fine with two hands. The Tite-Mark rocks, but is *pricey*.

My only complaint about the Tite-Mark is that the nylon drag screw is very sensitive. It's only a smidgeon of an angle between "too loose" and "too tight"

Mike Brady
01-12-2010, 4:29 PM
Like the difference between a Lie-Nielsen and a Wood River...they are similar in appearance. Just comparing these two products.
This is G-D's best item and probably one of LV's weaker ones.

David Gendron
01-12-2010, 5:07 PM
I would like to see LV do a new design of there gauge, after every thing that as been said, and knowing that Rob as probably seen all these coments, I hope they will do some thing in the near future!

Rick Erickson
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
+345 on the Tite-Mark. I've owned both and IMO there is no comparision. One is a toy and the other is a finally crafted tool.

Bob Strawn
01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
As an exception here, I really love my little stainless LV and rarely pull out the Tight Mark. The real reason is that the Tight Mark unscrews on me. I am left handed, and the little blade loosens when I use it. The LV seems to grip in much better. The larger guide and the adjustment on the tightmark are really nice, but the double sided LV lets me keep a measurement while making another.

Bob

David Gendron
01-13-2010, 1:14 AM
I just had the same problem of having the cutter unscrew wile using it on my LV one, and only after I remove the cuter to resharpened and puting it back, it must have had some " Lock Tite" put on the thread at the factory!?!

Tony Zaffuto
01-13-2010, 5:02 PM
I had both and also found myself using the Titemark mostly, so I gave the LV away. A good, low cost marking gage is the 3 in 1 brass gage LV sells. About $20.00 and is also used a lot.

Tim Put
01-13-2010, 5:09 PM
I just had the same problem of having the cutter unscrew wile using it on my LV one, and only after I remove the cuter to resharpened and puting it back, it must have had some " Lock Tite" put on the thread at the factory!?!

I had the same problem. Worse still, the countersink in the blade is a touch smaller than the screw head, tightening it down enough to stop the spinning cracked the ring shaped blade.
I like LV, but their standard (fine-adjust) marking gauge leaves something to be desired. I've never tried the 3-in-1 or the new stainless one.