PDA

View Full Version : Advice selling/pricing PC miter saw

Matt Allan
10-16-2004, 6:06 PM
Wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on selling my Porter-Cable 3802 12" Miter Saw. Friend of mine called me today and said his father bought the laser version of this saw and doesn't use it anymore I guess. Basically offered to sell mine and give him what I get for mine and I can have his laser version. Well lasers are neat, so I would like to jump on his kind offer.

Curious what you guys think the easiest and quickest way to sell this saw would be, and what you think a fair price to ask is. I would like to give him the most I can for his saw since he is being very kind with his offer. Think my saw still goes for $300 on amazon. Used but in fine shape, was dead on out of the box. Original blade that I would give with the saw doesn't have much wear on it either since I replaced it with a Forrest I had.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
matt

Jim Becker
10-16-2004, 8:04 PM
I have had very good results selling things right here at SMC in the Free Classifieds Forum. (as well as at WOOD Online over the years)

Steve Clardy
10-16-2004, 8:41 PM
Yea. Try it here as Jim suggests for a while. There's usually quite a bit of interest on tools for sale in the classifieds.

Steve

Matt Allan
10-16-2004, 8:58 PM
Think I will give it a shot here then.. Is there any general rule for pricing tools? A common % of current retail maybe? Having a hard time figuring out what to ask for this saw. Want to sell it as quick as I can for a fair price but I also want to be able to give him as much as can since his offer is very kind.

Thanks

Steve Clardy
10-16-2004, 9:11 PM
Well Matt, its your saw. But if it was mine, about half of new price. But you have a good blade on it too. So you would have to consider that also.
And consider shipping if you have to ship it. If the price is close to new, then added shipping costs, you may not get a bite on it.

John Miliunas
10-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Matt, for a lot of stuff, I won't pay more than 1/2 of new. On the other hand, for power tools, in decent shape and, in this case, it's still a current model, I'd start about 2/3 of new. Shipping would obviously, be extra above the selling price. You may get lucky and have someone local interested and avoid the shipping hassle and cost alltogether. :)

FWIW, I understand that the PC is a clone to the Delta w/dual laser. If so, you'll love it! I've had the Delta version for some time now and it's great. :cool:

Matt Allan
10-16-2004, 11:57 PM
I am pretty sure the PC is exactly the same as the delta, and I think the model I am selling is the exact same thing minus the laser. Had I not had the option to basically upgrade to the laser for free I doubt I would ever replace my current. It has been a fantastic saw, was perfect out of the box and has needed very little adjustment over its use.

Like I said though, lasers are cool.. I have always wanted a laser one ever since I saw Norms original PC on NYW through the years, which by coincidence has been replaced with the delta laser.

Roger Barga
10-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Hi Matt,

Whenever I try to price a used tool (or just about anything else for that matter) I log on to Ebay and search the completed auctions for the item that I am planning to sell. Nothing like a true marketplace to give you an idea of what something sells for. I'll then adjust the price based on any extras my item has (or doesn't have) and how difficult I think it will be to sell it locally. On occassion I've simply taken the next step and put up a sale listing for the item on ebay.

Cheers,
Roger