PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 1985 Powermatic Model 50 6" Jointer

Charles A. Davis
01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I must not have tightened down the screws to knifes because when I started the jointer up. after a minute it threw a knife and gib. It bent the gib pretty good. I have a picture here.I have been trying everywhere on the internet for a replacement. Powermatic was no help. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
The Part Number is : 3244200

Thanks
Chuck Davis
Technology Education Teacher
Colonial Heights Middle School

Jeff Willard
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Looks just like a gib from a 54. Same size jointer, later model.

Peter Aeschliman
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Powermatic was no help? Wow!

Glen Butler
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I think your best bet is to talk to Richard at Timberline Tools. He knows a lot of the folks at WMH. The hardest part will be getting him on the phone and he is terrible at returning calls. Others there are helpful, but he is the best.

http://timberlinetools.com/default.asp

888-688-2260

Charles A. Davis
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM
All Powermatic did was refer me to their authorized service centers. The ones that I contacted said that part was no longer available.
Chuck

Matt Meiser
01-11-2010, 3:06 PM
Charles, I might be able to help you out--check your inbox.

Jeff Willard
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
All Powermatic did was refer me to their authorized service centers. The ones that I contacted said that part was no longer available.
Chuck

I'll apologize in advance for the thread hijack.

Does anybody find it as disgusting as I do that a manufacturer of a durable good such as this, no longer supports the product?

Charles A. Davis
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
When I asked for any other suggestions from Powermatic's authorized service center - toolsolutionsllc.com - they replied with a one line email: and I quote "Buy a new saw." :mad:
Yes this was about a jointer.

Thats when I found this community which I didn't even know was around. Within a few hours I think I found a replacement thanks to Matt. What a great place! Already sent in my donation.

Chuck Davis
Technology Education Teacher
Colonial Heights Middle School
Colonial Heights, VA

Thomas love
01-12-2010, 9:14 AM
Charles don't feel bad ,I did the same thing once with a 5 horse powermatic 180 planer. My neighbor a machinist made me a new one.
Tom

Paul Steiner
01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Redmond machine tool helped me quite a bit with my school's powermatic machines. They can get you new or used replacements. Also check your county policies on machine repairs and who pays. In my county the central office pays for repairs and new parts. So you may not have to dip into your budget. If that is the case in your county, a spiral cutting head might be the best repair for that problem.