PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Delta Cad

Cindy Rhoades
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Does anyone use Delta Cad? If so is it compatible with Corel x4? The reviews I have read seem to be pretty good but the reviews I get from SMC are the ones that really count.

George D Gabert
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I have not used it, but it says it exports a DXF file, which Corel can import.

Regards
GDG

Dave Johnson29
01-11-2010, 6:05 PM
Does anyone use Delta Cad? If so is it compatible with Corel x4?

I have not used it but it has a 45 day free trial. I'd download it and try a simple project then export it as a DXF.

Corel sometimes handles some versions of DXF in weird ways and I have stopped using DXF as an import to Corel.

Richard Rumancik
01-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Cindy, I have no recent experience with it. Some years ago a customer gave me some files in DeltaCad so I downloaded the demo to edit them. Given that I was a prior AutoCAD LT user, I found it somewhat frustrating because I had an AutoCAD mindset. I am not saying AutoCAD is the best, it was just what I had used first. It is natural to compare any new program to what you are used to.

There were many things I found frustrating to do, but from the looks of the website/tutorial people seem to be making complex drawings in DeltaCad. Of course they will have made improvements since I last looked. Their website looks a bit ancient but I assume the program will do basic drawings fine. It is only $40 I believe, so no huge investment. I don't think you need the bitmap handling capabilities as you can do all of that in CorelDraw.

Another option you might consider is DoubleCad XT. I plan to download it myself based on a magazine review I have seen. It is supposed to be an AutoCAD LT work-alike. The best part is that you can download it free. This is not a demo or limited use version, it is a real working version of the program. (They make their money on users who upgrade to higher end versions.) www.doublecad.com (http://www.doublecad.com)

I use an old copy of AutoCAD LT when I need to do accurate technical layouts. CorelDraw is not suitable for this.

Cindy Rhoades
01-13-2010, 1:19 PM
I would like to thank those who responded to my question and all answers were helpful. Thank you very much